The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Alarming tyre wear...

patrikbrunt

Well I popped into Yeovil earlier today to do some shopping, and on a spur of the moment kind of thing I went to a tyre place to get my fronts checked/balanced as I had noticed a bit of wheel wobble at motorway cruising speed (or a little more). Anyway after a bit of faffing to actually get a jack under it he removed the first wheel and promptly said he wasnt going to put it anywhere near the balancing machine because it had the wire braid poking out of it! Was news to me, and on inspection it turns out both tyres are the same :( God knows how long it has been like it but im considering it quite a lucky escape. Anyway ive just ordered some Toyo's to replace them, but dont want them to go the same way as the old tyres so i'm wandering what needs to be done to rectify the uneven wear im suffering... its as if the camber is all wrong and just wearing out one side of the tyre? Ive attached a pic of both tyres so you can see how bad they are.

Drivers side:

Passenger:

Any input welcomed :)

A PROPER geometry setup is required immediately, or any new tyres will be munched jsut the same in double-quick time.

Looks like it's been lowered, which alters everything but especially the camber (the tilt of the wheel if you looked at it from directly in front of the car)m so it's on its inner edges. You're using a fraction of the tyre's real footprint, the car's a deathtrap like that.

To be honest as mentioned, a professional wheel alignment is essential. Ideally the alignment should be checked at least every 6 months (I always have my cars checked every 4 months) provided all is still well, this is ensure more even wear and extract the maximum miles out of your tyres.

Damn, I feared this may be the outcome :( not just a cheap fix tracking adjustment then! The car is particularly low, its on Toms Advox coilovers, if I had a Geo setup would they be able to adjust the right height too? It'd benefit from at least a 10mm raise I think.

Yes, if they are height adjustable, and if they KNOW what they are doing. Be sure on the latter before you spend any money.

Ouch! :blink: thats horrendous. Don't skimp on getting a proper geometry set up, those tyres could have killed you. Get the suspension thoroughly checked for wear, if the wheels were a bit wobbly it could be worn suspension linkages as well as the possibe tracking issue. Whichever it is mate, don't leave it.

i had the geo set up done recently patrick, i went to pro-tyre on marsh barton exeter.

they seemed to know what they were doing, dont know about raising the car up though

pro-tyre s number 01395 412610

get it sorted quickly or you will destroy the new tyres very quickly

you will proberbly notice the handling improve after a geo set up, i did:d

karolina has just had hers sorted after going through 2 brand new pirellis in 2 months :blink:

How much did that set you back Rog? and what did they do, a full geometry setup? Ideally i'd like the ride height raised as it is too low and im sure thats not helping matters. Might have to give them a shout once ive got the tyres fitted :)

I paid a total of £260, but that was for 2x Falken 452 on the front and they change my oil+filter ( I supplied the oil and filter )

They charge by the amount of adjustment needed for the geo set up and they only made a couple of adjustments to my camber, so not to pricey.

I would give them a call and check if they can sort your suspension as well, as there is no point in doing your geo and then changing the ride height a few months later, as it will throw the geo out again

Thats pretty decent, i had a problem in my first MR2 and the geometry and allignment was about £80ish and the chap even let me watch for the whole time, went roudn everything and then explained it all with gave me a info to take away on what he'd done. Meant absolutely nothing to me mind you but was interesting none the less !

Tbh dont look like there is much left anyways from them pics, the wear markers look close.

Yeh this is true there wasnt a massive amount of life left in them, was just shocking to see the wire poking through on the inside edge! The guy looked at my rears too and was shocked when I said theyd only been on there 6 months.... damn lead foot of mine!!