The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wheel Corrosion - Help Needed

Holden1989

Help needed with the other halfs wheels,

there not old, about 14months, although they were driven on the winter before last :taped:

Started getting some corrosion coming up on the spokes and even the centrecaps (which are plastic) :blink:

Need someone to recommend me something to clean them with, wont be getting them refurbed til beginning of next year now :search:

Pic (albeit not a very good one, will get better pics if needed)

Also getting some corrosion coming up on the carbon fibre bonnet, typically above the lights but spreading all over now, autoglym (yes i know) polish gets it off, but the next day its back (and yes its not dirt) last resort is to get someone to mop it :search:

Thanks in advance :thumbs:

Use some car polish and wax/sealer etc, don't use anything too abrasive as you won't know how thick the finish is and you don't want to rub through. :blink:

tried just normal polish (autoglym). also tried carnuba wax but no luck, it doesnt even make a mark :(

Nothing to abrasive? you must be joking lol a sponge is to abrasive on these! i normally settle for a microfibre

Need a brand name recommendation :search:

Once the corrosion sets in it's hard to stop it :( With those sort of wheels they need to be sealed weekly with a wax like Zoopseal.

It seems alll too common that these Japanese blingy wheels start flaking after only after a few months in the UK. Dash had the same problem with his ultra expensive WEDS wheels, no warranty was valid either :(

my kei's on my focus went the same way, even waxed weekly once it set in was no stopping it being honest refurb was only fix :) also amount of wheel wax u will be wasting on them over next 6 months of use i would just get the refurbed now :) then start the sealing on a good top coat :)

I spray mine with water dispersant spray, it protects em, but gets dirty real quick, but it allows me to drive in the wet coz' the spray puts an oily type film on the wheels that the water can't penetrate. They don't exactly look show car condition with the spray on but I can just degrease em and hose em off and they are brand new again, rinse and repeat..

just my 02c..

I posted this a while back but don't know anyone who has used them yet.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=188227&highlight=wheel+nut+covers

I cant see how that will stop brake dust from eating through the laquer, the only way to keep them looking good for longer is to take them off the car each week and properly clean them front and back and apply a good polish.

I cant see how that will stop brake dust from eating through the laquer, the only way to keep them looking good for longer is to take them off the car each week and properly clean them front and back and apply a good polish.

Its not for brake dust bud, its to stop salt on the road from corroding your wheels. I cleaned the brake dust of my wheels every other day and they still corroded like hell in the winter as it was the road salt/grit that was causing the worst of it.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/60132/smartwax_rim_wax.html

I use the above. On of my wheels is in a terribe condition. A good scrub with this sorts it for a good long while. Smells of bubble gum too. :)

Will give this stuff a go, mmm bubblegum :D

Also just seen the alloy wax sealent by autoglym on there too, will give that a go also :thumbs:

Just need something that will atleast cover it up a little for the end of the season, it takes an hour cleaning just one wheel and im starting to get annoyed when i dont see a difference in the corrosion :angry:

Bigbloodyturbo - I would try that stuff mate but as i dont know anyone that has used it (and its designed for boats) im less inclined to put it on some expensive wheels :(

Help needed with the other halfs wheels,

there not old, about 14months, although they were driven on the winter before last :taped:

Started getting some corrosion coming up on the spokes and even the centrecaps (which are plastic) :blink:

Need someone to recommend me something to clean them with, wont be getting them refurbed til beginning of next year now :search:

Pic (albeit not a very good one, will get better pics if needed)

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f28/kay1064/DSC00816.jpg

Also getting some corrosion coming up on the carbon fibre bonnet, typically above the lights but spreading all over now, autoglym (yes i know) polish gets it off, but the next day its back (and yes its not dirt) last resort is to get someone to mop it :search:

Thanks in advance :thumbs:

Had same problem with my wheels but I decided to get them powdercoated.

If you get them re-polished they won't last long till they're back the exact same way.

The only way I believe is keeping on top of them with some sort of good quality metal polish...and I mean keeping on top of them because the week you don't do it of 'forget' it'll be too late!

get them powdercoated...far less hassle!

call me dumb, but doesnt powdercoating make them darker?

STS wheels Jamie?

If we got them re furbed could i not request for them to put silly layers of laquer on them? would it stop the deteriation?

Suppose it depends what colour you get...I was looking to maintain the bright silver finish on mine but didn't do that kind of silver only a 'dull' colour. So decided to try satin black for a change. Just depends on taste!

To answer your question about the lacquer then the answer really is no...as the lacquer needs a slightly abrasive surface to stick to...the polished surface will be no good for this

A bit off topic, but is the writing on those tyres standard, or have they been coloured with a tyre pen.

I think coloured writing on tyres looks cool, not sure whether I'd get much credibility whitening my Falken 452's though :D

I'm interested in this also!

It looks a very good job if it is just a whitening pen. In my experience the effect of the pens don't last very long, they tend to flake off after a few days.

How do the American tyre companys (eg Goodyear) get the white writing on their tyres? What do they use?

A bit off topic, but is the writing on those tyres standard, or have they been coloured with a tyre pen.

I think coloured writing on tyres looks cool, not sure whether I'd get much credibility whitening my Falken 452's though :D

He spent ages colouring it in :D

To make it last longer make sure you scrub the tyres with petrol to get everything off the rubber, if you dont it'l end up flaking off after one drive

Its been on there ever since japshow and they still look like they've just been done :)

Something different, i think it suits the style of the car imo :)

I use the Turtle Wax Extreme Wheel wax on my 18" TTE wheels after I wash it. (about once a month)

Once a year I take the wheels off, Clean and Polish/Wax them inside n out using the Meguires 3 step/ Paint Cleaner, Polish, Carnuba Wax on them. I've had my wheels for just over 3 years and they still look like new, considering they have a Laquered Diamond cut finish on them.

From what I've read, Poorboys wax appears to be fairly popular for wheels and Bilberry wheel cleaner for washing them off.

But still like said does'nt take much to make a decent set of wheels corrode unfortunately. A full refurb would possibly be the only way to ensure a decent lasting finish imo.

Edited by GreaseMonkey (see edit history)

It looks like you have the same problem as I have on my wheels; water seeps in between the polished lip and the alloy wheel and gets underneath the lacquer where it sits....and corrodes....:( Eventually the lacquer blisters and flakes off...sorry to give you bad news but it seems they're on their way.

As for a refurb, as the polished lip is curved over the alloy, it can't be removed without distorting/damaging it (they can't be bought seperately) so a refurb is out of the question too - been there, tried several peeps and thats the upshot :rolleyes:

only option left is to get the lip taken off permanently and getting the wheel powder coated :blink: