The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Just been hit......in works car park FFS !

clarky666

Was leaving work this afternoon about an hour ago to come out to my car. Noticed a small ring mark about half the size of a 5p piece as i came round the side of the car in a perfect circle.

Just as i moved round the front to get in i noticed i'd been whacked and scraped all along the side of my front wing. Similar mark on the other side of the car must have been the mounting points on each side for the wing and the screw(s) pushing through on impact.

Pretty shocked to be honest but the lady who did it - fuck knows how but she managed - at least sat patiently in her car for 50 minutes untill i came to leave my work and came over, apologised and passed on her details.

First time anything like that has happened to me. Whats normal protocol ? Do i need to contact my insurance at all or do i get quotes myself and then pass them onto her ?

See if she wants to do it privately if not then yea contact your insurance, i suppose you can contact your insurance and say she might want to deal with it privately, then least your insurers know straight away.

Im glad she waited and didnt just drive off one of the lucky ones :)

You can request to get quotes at your chosen garage i believe.

IM sure someone with a more detailed and technical reply will come along soon :)

Sad news to hear thou

Your so so lucky she stayed !!

Mine got hit in a car park caving the whole rear Qtr in and the person did not leave their details and the police would not do anything even though there was CCTV footage of it.

Ended up having to claim on my insurance :(

Your so lucky... phew - close one !!

Pretty shocked to be honest but the lady who did it - $#@! knows how but she managed - at least sat patiently in her car for 50 minutes untill i came to leave my work and came over, apologised and passed on her details.

Although she may be a cr*p driver, I applaud her for doing the right thing and waiting around for you. I shouldn't have to, it should be expected that the other driver either waits around or leaves their details on your windscreen etc, but there's too many scumbags out there who don't.

As for the insurance, it depends whether you want to pursue it through insurance or not. If not, you'd get quotes to get it fixed, and send her the bill. If it's through insurance, then get her to contact her insurer (I don't think you need to contact yours, but I'm not sure, might be worth letting them know just in case of difficulties later on). Tricky, but do try and get hard evidence of her admitting to it if you can. A lot of cases like this start well, but then the guilty party develop Teflon shoulders and try to slink out of it for some reason.

It's probably best to go through insurance. There's little to be gained by not doing so, and it'll probably be too expensive for her to foot the bill without going through her insurance.

Thanks for the advice stevie and the others.

Managed to get down for a couple of quotes before they closed for the evening. Damage didn't look horrendous myself but after the guy gave it a good checking over it's amazing just how many little things you don't notice (also a good future reference for checking a car over when buying / viewing in future). Looks like i'm needing a new front bumper and new offside head light.

The lady also just phoned again to apologise and pass on confirmation of her insurance details. Agreed it was a good, honest gesture but it was a police car park so would have been ironic for a bump and run !

Fingers crossed.

Big thumbs up to the lady for being big enough to admit her mistake and try her best to rectify it. This has got to be the first time i have read anything like this on here, its always the other way around.

As most have said i would ask if she wants to do it privately. If you don't, you will be makred down on your own insurance for having a "non-fault accident". This still counts against you when it comes to renewing your insurance. We are still paying £80 per year more after my wife had a "non fault accident". Like yourself, she wasn't even in the car at the time.

Anyway, hope it gets sorted easily and swiftly.

I thought that most insurers "allow you" a couple of non-fault accidents before they bump up your premium. Having said that it's difficult to compare premiums like-for-like, there's so many factors the insurers hide behind.

Never known any bud, they have all made a difference for me. "Any accidents in the last 3 years regardless of fault"..... if it didn't make a difference they wouldn't ask about the non-fault ones.

I always thought it would be for records sake but i can't find a quote where it doesn't make a difference (i always check due to curiosity).

Yep, i was paying for years after a non-fault accident.

I heard it was different if you claim directly from their insurance company rather than going through your own to claim from theirs, meaning you don't have to declare the accident... but i can't remember where i heard this!

I heard it was different if you claim directly from their insurance company rather than going through your own to claim from theirs, meaning you don't have to declare the accident... but i can't remember where i heard this!

Even when you claim from a 3rd party it still counts against you :blink: My last car was written off due to an idiot driver, 100% not my fault in the insurance companies eyes (and mine, there was nothing I could have done to avoid it) and the other party paid up in full without question. However it's added £50 to my yearly premium and will be there as a non-fault claim for the next 4 years.

Even when you claim from a 3rd party it still counts against you :blink: My last car was written off due to an idiot driver, 100% not my fault in the insurance companies eyes (and mine, there was nothing I could have done to avoid it) and the other party paid up in full without question. However it's added £50 to my yearly premium and will be there as a non-fault claim for the next 4 years.

Did you go through yours to claim the money back from theirs, or directly through theirs without telling yours? If you get what i mean :blink:

Your so so lucky she stayed !!

Mine got hit in a car park caving the whole rear Qtr in and the person did not leave their details and the police would not do anything even though there was CCTV footage of it.

Ended up having to claim on my insurance :(

Your so lucky... phew - close one !!

You should have written to the DVLA with the correct form and obtained the owners details, if you had the reg plate from CCTV, then sued them.

Did you go through yours to claim the money back from theirs, or directly through theirs without telling yours? If you get what i mean :blink:

I think the above might be irrelevant as when you renew they ask you if you have had any claims. You have a duty to declare it irrespective of fault or you risk your insurance being voided.

Fault is a funny word if you ask me. If you are involved in claims where the other side are at 'fault' it technically means you are a more risky person than someone who hasn't put themselves in that situaiton (i.e. the car park etc). Technicaly with any claim where the other side are primarily liable there is a risk of contributory negligence which could be applied to any proportion of liability (i.e. 1% contrib neg for parking too far to the left etc) and thus if that happens, even though the otehr driver is at fault, the insurance company may lose soem of its money.

Edited by marbleapple (see edit history)

• 2 months later...

Hard luck, but look on teh bright side, she waited and did the right thing! 9.9/10 people would be long gone!

My mates Peuegot 206 was smacked 2 weeks ago in the works car park, needs a new rear 1/4. No camera's, the person who hit the car is not fessing up and we can't prove that he did it etc. My mates havign to get the car repaired through his own insurance etc etc - a right headache.

Hope you manage to get the car back to a superb standard without too much hassle from the insurers.

• 1 month later...