The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Trolley Jack recommendations?

Scooter

My trolley jack (Sealey 2ton yankee) is worse for wear and has started sinking under the weight of the car.

I wondering if anyone has or can recommend a Jack, it might be nice to have a longer reach one (I usually just use it for jacking up on the diff at the rear) but the main thing i want is a very controlled release mechanism so you can very smoothly lower the car onto stands rather than the more on/off release of some that can frankly be a bit of a liability (I think my sealey has got worse over time in this respect)

Also any good old school/last a lifetime brands........the Sealey has been ok but its hardly had a hard life, is the 2ton rating a bit lightweight?

The sort of jack they'd use professionally in a tyre fitting bay, like a Laycock, will cost about 6 times what you pay for a Sealey / Machine Mart / Ebay one. Whether they are six times better is debatable. I use a long reach 3 tonne one from Machine Mart and it's been fine for at least 5 years of fairly active usage.

Chris, what do you use on the jacking point ie do you use the stock jacking points and have something to attach to the head of your trolley jack which then attaches to the chassis rail similar to how the stock scissor jack works? The only reason I ask is most trolley jacks have a flat plate jacking head which would obviously bend up the rail if used on the stock jacking point

Costco do an Arcan aluminium jack for about £70 plus VAT, low profile and nicely made, I have the non-aluminium version.

http://www.motorsport-tools.com/images/jack.jpg

http://www.tjgraphics.net/TVR/TrolleyJack_Images/Trolleyjack02.jpg

Sometimes they come in blue and silver and look a lot like Clarke ones, they lift more though, think the equivalent Clarke is 1.25 and the Arcan is a 1.8.