The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tyres and apologies

spartan

Apologies because I bet you're thinking that the last thing this forum needs is another thread on tyres.

If you're still reading, I'm in the market for some new rear tyres and - yes - I've done my research and made full use of the search button on the forum.

Now, I understand that money is tight and almost everyone is looking for good value in everything they purchase. However, in my opinion 'value' takes on a slightly different meaning when you're talking about tyres for the Supra (not forgetting what this car is or rather what it could be capable of in terms of relative performance).

For me, this breaks down to the following factors when looking for tyres for this car (in order of my priority):

1. 'Everyday' handling (most of the time I'm driving on normal roads in both wet and dry conditions - they've got to be 'safe' [predictable/consistent] but also allow the abilities of the car to be exploited)
  2. Comfort (ability to absorb minor surface imperfections and road noise)
  3. Treadwear (how long the tyres are going to last)

Obviously your criteria might be different - fair enough - but when recommending a tyre it would be useful to know what they are.

I've found this website (you probably have too):

www.tirerack.com

A lot of the tyres listed (it's an American site) aren't even available in this country - it seems that the majority of tyres we have here are 'Summer' tyres, rather than the 'Winter' and 'All season' tires they also have available in the US (very strange given that 'British Summer' tyres would probably fall into the last category!).

Anyway, here's my question:

Would the tyre compounds, etc. be the same in the UK for the same named tyre from the US, does anyone know (tread patterns look the same)?

In other words, I'm wondering if the reviews and tests on that site are equally applicable to tyres sold in this country.

P.S. I'm wavering between:

• Continental Sport Contact 3
  • Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3
  • Bridgestone Potenza RE050A
  • Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 (I've been told these are no longer available except in a Porsche fitment?)

Edited by spartan
Crossed off some choices (see edit history)

Put a poll up.

1 vote for the Goodyear F1 though, fantastic all-weather tyre which doesn't wear down too quickly unless you drive everywhere sideways. :)

Remember in the USA the difference between summer and winter is generally a lot more extreme than in the UK, so they feel compelled to offer tyres for different seasons.

Put a poll up.

1 vote for the Goodyear F1 though, fantastic all-weather tyre which doesn't wear down too quickly unless you drive everywhere sideways. :)

Remember in the USA the difference between summer and winter is generally a lot more extreme than in the UK, so they feel compelled to offer tyres for different seasons.

Another poll? I'm not sure the forum could stand it! ;) I will do if there's more demand.

Anyway, you make a good point and I do understand that they do have greater extremes of weather (if that's possible) in the US than we do in the UK - hence the 'winter' tyres that can drive in snow, etc. but why not more of the 'all season' tyres?

For the record, I did drive my car in the snow last winter and it was - amazingly (surprisingly) - competent. Admittedly my speed never exceeded 20mph and I have a 'SNOW' button (nothing to do with my driving skills or the lack thereof).

i've tried, and given up, buying new tryes 5 times now. luckily the cars been off the road for that whole period. be interesting to see people views...

I totally sympathise. Once you've bought the tyres, you are - of course - committed.

That's why I think a forum like this should have a 'sticky' thread for tyres (we do after all for other 'consumables' - oil, etc.). I couldn't find one ... probably why there's so many posts on the subject (back to apologies).

I've been using Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 for pretty much 4 years now, and had no problems at all. The front ones barely wear at all (as they just point you where you want to go), and rate of wear on the rears is also very good from what I can tell.

I use the car pretty much daily, to and from work, rain or shine :)

I've been using Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 for pretty much 4 years now, and had no problems at all. The front ones barely wear at all (as they just point you where you want to go), and rate of wear on the rears is also very good from what I can tell.

I use the car pretty much daily, to and from work, rain or shine :)

I agree they are a great tyre, they've been discontinued now though so only going to become harder to find (and at reasonable prices)

I've only tried the GSD-3's out of your list, but I found them to be next to useless in anything other than dry conditions in my N/A.

I've been using Toyo T1R's for the last few years and they work perfectly in all conditions (my Supra is my daily driver) and the last lot lasted me about 15 months.

Interesting.

I've the complete opposite effect on my single. Go figure! :blink:

Yeah, I went for them because at the time (4 years ago), they were THE tyre being recommended on this forum.

On stock 16's on my N/A, you couldn't pull out of a side road if the it was slightly damp without lighting up the rear tyres no matter how gentle on the throttle you were.

I used to laugh and say the car would slide if it just saw cows lying down... :blink:

Switched to the T1R's and now (more so after getting slightly woder 17's and TRD LSD) you really have to be brutal with it to get it to slide.

I have 452's on my TT, and I find them excellent.

I have the 452's all round on my TT and find them very competent and well as pretty reasonable to buy. Had the Rear ones since April last year and about to replace within next few weeks so they lasted well for 15-16 months.

:)

I've put on some Vredestein on the rear and have to say I am extremely happy with them! Even more yesterday on the way back home yesterday on A406 (While it was raining) I decided to boot it (while no one was looking) and it held really well! I changed from the continental's even though they had some tread left because I found them no good in the wet! And not that good in the dry either... these are more cheaper and I was going to get the Toyo's but thought I'd try them out!

Going to try the toyo's next though as it seems pretty well liked on the forum.

only got an N/A but also have the 452's have found them to be very good been sideways a lot on them (on purpose) hardly any wear at all :)

I have the 452's all round on my TT and find them very competent and well as pretty reasonable to buy. Had the Rear ones since April last year and about to replace within next few weeks so they lasted well for 15-16 months.

:)

Thanks for your input everybody!

I've crossed-off the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 as I've seen some very mixed feedback about this tyre (away from this forum).

Also crossed-off the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A. In my opinion this is a very good tire (had them before) but I'm not sure it's the best for the Supra.

That leaves the Continental Sport Contact 3 and the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3. I've heard nothing but good things about the F1 (here and elsewhere) and it seems the obvious choice.

However, all the feedback for the Conti. SC3 is also excellent - there's just a lot less of it! I don't think many people have tried this tyre on the Supra (I must admit, I've never even used the brand before on any car). The tread pattern looks quite similar to the old Michelin Pilot SX MXX3 (that was the OEM fitment for the UK Supra - a great tyre but sadly no longer available in the required sizes).

I guess it'll come down to what's available now. In the meantime, if anyone has any experience of the Conti. SC3 on the Supra, I'd be interested to hear it.

Guest Carsten

I drove the Conti Sport Contact 3 about 2 years on my Hondas.

Yet i´ve to mention, that my uncle works for Continental :)

They are not cheap but got awesome grip and driveability.

Ive had the Conti sport 3's and no problems at all and thought they were pretty good alround.

Im now using the RE050's and not as happy as i was on the Conti's

13,000 miles out of the rears :blink: why did you buy a supra ? my granny would wear them out quicker :D

I drove the Conti Sport Contact 3 about 2 years on my Hondas.

Yet i´ve to mention, that my uncle works for Continental :)

They are not cheap but got awesome grip and driveability.

Can your uncle get me a set 265 x 19 and 295 x 19 :) cheers

I must be on ignore, then. :(

Sincere apologies - I certainly didn't ignore your comments; when I said 'nothing' I was obviously exaggerating slightly.

I've almost decided upon the Conti. SC3s and managed to find an amazingly good price for these (under £110 each fully fitted for standard rear size).

Interested to hear more about the 'Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta'. Never heard of them before starting this thread but they too get rave reviews.