The mkiv Supra Owners Club

hid kits

jay5041

Hi people i recently bought myself some clear plastic lenses to replace j spec yellowed ones due to get supra booked in to a bodyshop to get them fitted as i dont trust myself to do a good job.

Now the mrs has asked what i want for my birthday as its coming up. Can anyone recommend a decent hid kit??? Oh and is 9005 the right fitment for pre facelift???

Hi people i recently bought myself some clear plastic lenses to replace j spec yellowed ones due to get supra booked in to a bodyshop to get them fitted as i dont trust myself to do a good job.

Now the mrs has asked what i want for my birthday as its coming up. Can anyone recommend a decent hid kit??? Oh and is 9005 the right fitment for pre facelift???

Top of my head; Imports are 9005 all round, but UK cars have 9006 as well as 9005. So yep, 9005 should be fine. I stand to be corrected though no doubt!!

I've heard good things about the guys at http://www.visionbulbs.com and also traders will do them, Knight Racer I think supplies them.

I'm about to put some on my GZ, and I was definitely getting 9005's.

I have a 1995 J-Spec TT, so this is where my info comes from. I'm not 100% certain about UK spec or Facelift models.

I think 9005 are the main beams, and 9006 are the dipped beams. Most people tend to go for HID in the dipped beams only, and leave the main beams as standard (perhaps replace the bulbs with some decent 100w ones).

So I think most people would suggest getting a 9006 kit for the dipped beams or, if you can find the space for 4 x ballast packs, get 1 x 9006 for dipped and 1 x 9005 for main :D

As deathmonkey said, I've heard good things about Knight Racer's kits

Cheers, J

:yeahthat:

Mains imo are pointless on main beams due to the warm up of the HID bulbs. I upgraded mine to some 100w bulbs get some 100x for the fogs too (LED ones are meant to be rubbish) and some LED sidelights :).

You have to know what temp to go for, the brightest is 4300k then 6000k has a hint of blue and 8000k or above is where you enter into chav world as they are blue.

Ebay kits are fine too, I have bought all my kits for my cars from Ebay (2 x Supra's) and never had an issue with them. I have never bought the £10 kits with £30 postage but I know some people have and had no issues so far, just remember to check their feedback. I usually paid between £50-£70 for mine.

:yeahthat:

Mains imo are pointless on main beams due to the warm up of the HID bulbs. I upgraded mine to some 100w bulbs get some 100x for the fogs too (LED ones are meant to be rubbish) and some LED sidelights :).

You have to know what temp to go for, the brightest is 4300k then 6000k has a hint of blue and 8000k or above is where you enter into chav world as they are blue.

Ebay kits are fine too, I have bought all my kits for my cars from Ebay (2 x Supra's) and never had an issue with them. I have never bought the £10 kits with £30 postage but I know some people have and had no issues so far, just remember to check their feedback. I usually paid between £50-£70 for mine.

Whoops, ordered my HIDS from knightracer today. they only had the 10000k left, so I went for that. Oh well, I've been told I can get some 4300k bulbs for the kit later :D..................................................:chav:

Whoops, ordered my HIDS from knightracer today. they only had the 10000k left, so I went for that. Oh well, I've been told I can get some 4300k bulbs for the kit later :D..................................................:chav:

They will not be blue mate, they will be more purple. You will probably get more light from your old bulbs. :(

Do a search but there is something putting doubt in my mind you can't swap bulbs, I maybe wrong.

Here are some pics to compare.....

Normal

Normal vs 4300k

4300k vs 8000k

Edited by jamesmark (see edit history)

The stuff I've read is that they still emit about twice as much light as Halogen. Albert assures me you can change the bulbs.

Yes iirc that is at 4300k, the higher the temp the less light is omitted. You are away up at 10,000k so not going to spectacular, and if your Police are anal about things you may get stopped.

Yes you can get replacement bulbs, looking at ones on Ebay they are just as exsensive as the full kit @ £40 + P+P. :blink:

Not trying to put you off but I would be make looking at canceling and waiting till decent ones come in or buying from flea bay.

Aint been able to get on here as my internet ****ed up again!!! Might get myself a set of 6000k off knight racer. Just hope they are easy enough to fit as my old set for the vectra c was a right pain in the a$$ and i ended up getting an auto spark to fit em!