The mkiv Supra Owners Club

D2 brakes

DSK

I have done a search but nothing came up in the threads about D2. In October I will be replacing my brakes as the rears are squealing, don't know why as everthing looks like its in order and one front disc is warped. The OE brakes are great, I have no issues with but would like to enhance the asthetics at the same time if its feasible.

Whilst having a look around BlueAngels car, I noticed he had this D2 set up on the front.

http://www.bigbrakes4u.co.uk/racing-sports-systems-p-434.html

http://www.bigbrakes4u.co.uk/gfx/BigBrakes4U/D2/D2m.jpg

I didn't get a chance to ask him about them so was wandering if anyone has any experience with this brand as I have never heard of the D2 brand before. Are they a 'quality' brand, are the products 'good', reliable and durable etc?

On BlueAngles car they looked Purple rather than the pink in the picture. As for colour I can't really give a damn about that, but just don't want to take a step backwards braking wise by paying good money for a poor product. If they are camp then there's no point in buying them, but if they are genuinely a step forwards then its worth considering for the price.

I'm using http://www.bigbrakes4u.co.uk/ to look and these guys are 10 minutes away from me.

Worst case scenario is I'll just replace with OE discs and pads and then get the AP Racing set up next year after I go BPU.

Edited by DSK (see edit history)

Guest blueangel

The brakes work really well and i now have the suspension to match but havent fitted it yet , they are not as pink as the picture more of a deep purple.

Wether they would be a step up from uk,s i dont know maybe on par with them but they certainly look better, i dont think they are camp lol real men can wear pink lol also alot of the hks stuff came in pink.

I actually have these on my car , fronts are 8 pots with 330mm disks and the rears are 6 pot with 330mm disks. The quality of the calipers and disks are excellent. I have had UK units all round and they did the job very well with some decent pads on them. I only experiance brake fade once and that was an extreamly rare time when it was 30 degrees (hot) and a sprited sprint against a GTR Ultimate.

The only reason why i changed my brake set up was because of the BLING value ...the purple goes with my colour scheme off the car and they do look sexy !!! . I am not a serious track king nor do i strip my car out and make it uncomfortable.

What i found with the setup is that the PADS are "Crap", on top of buying the capliers i purchased additional AP racing pads. These cost me an additional £179 for the fronts and £110 for the rears. The PADS transformed the way the car stopped.

The UK brakes are good, having this new setup is far better then the UK units. The pads take about 30sec to warm up but when warm the car stops perfect.

Overall i am very pleased with them , but if you work out the differance in price from buying AP 6 pots fronts to D2 8 pots , they work out the same as the AP kits, they supply AP fluid and lines etc .. where as the D2 do not supply fluid / lines nor good PADS.

Every person has there own views , have a look at the US forums, There are many views on the D2 units ,you will notice that the D2 units have the same dimentions as the main competitors such as ENDLESS or TAROX, you can make your own mind up if they are the same units.

To sum it up, I am very happy with them and would by them again, yet i would buy AP racing units unstead as they work out the same price in the long run and you can get a better colour range.

If its UK's you have then paint them and buy decent pads. I got the "Supra" Decals from ebay and refurbished my calipers. You can see pics of the rear's on my website, just click "Brakes".

I finished the fronts last night, just don't have any pics at the moment. They look good though. I'm skimming the discs tonight and i should be putting it all together on Friday :)