The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Random Supra Appreciation

hadyn

Anyone else had this?

Last night I was parking up at my local Ikea. Whilst slotting the Supra into a space, I noticed this pensioner type guy staring at me and the car. I thought this was just some bloke being over protective of his car and worried that I was going to plough into it or something :(

However, once out of the car, said bloke informed me that my car was "a lovely motor car" ,"how much does it do to the gallon?" and the enquired if it was a "V6" to which I replied it was a straight 6 twin turbo. The mention of the words "twin turbo" seemed to blow him away.

I then headed towards Ikea and the bloke and his wife followed me and asked me questions like how many miles it had done etc. I get the impression if I would have asked the bloke for a figure of money he would have bought my car on the spot!!

Anyway, I thought this was really nice. Probably because we dont really get many people appreciating our cars who dont know what they are :)

I love it when that happens, but I'm always worried about doing it to others. Lets say I see an Enzo in the garage forecourt, the most I'd say is "nice car mate". I'd have a horrible feeling that if I started asking him questions about it, I'd piss him off, or he'd think I'm some sad loser.

I know what you mean pistonbroke.

I dont think I'd ever do that to a Ferrari or Lambo owner, but I've been seriously tempted to go up to a bloke who had the cleanest meanest looking R32 GTR I've ever seen. I know that doesnt sound like much, but you really dont see many Jap performance cars by me, let alone something as tasty as this GTR that I saw :)

Had a nice chat to a chap with a Corrado recently at a petrol station. Older chap who seemed to know a lot about cars in general, and didn't disappoint when it came to Supra gen. My son has a Corrado, so I felt on safe ground returning the interest he had shown mine. A nice little interlude, until he dissed my rear wing. Po faced bast**d.

I was out for a meal at the Steading in Edinburgh afew weeks ago, and coincidentally sat next to the window where I could see the car. It was a bit of an eye opener to see how many people were stopping or slowing down for a look, including a group of four OAPs, who seemed to be completely fascinated and walked around it several times.

I think as a Supra owner you sometimes forget how striking a car it is, particularly to Joe Average who drives a Mondeo for example.

I wouldnt think twice about asking an owner afew questions about their car if I saw it sat on the forecourt or carpark. Never met a Jap car owner who hasnt wanted to have a good chat about their car yet!

I get that quite alot aswell. People at petrol stations asking how fast does it go? How much does it do to the gallon, just stopping and staring etc. It's good when you have genuine people interested. The problem is I don't like leaving it parked up anywhere for exactly the same reason.

I haven't had any comments for a while apart from the other night while driving past a drunken guy who stumbled out a night club. He shouted 'I f'n love your Toyota Supra'. I was amazed he knew what it was especially with it being very dark and him being very drunk. Most people round my way ask if it's a new model and what is it. I have no badges on the car btw :D

Strangely everytime the Supra pulls into the Petrol stations, people of all ages just stare at it...

When I'm out washing it etc, where I live, its mainly the late 30's, middle aged and recently retired folks in the neighbourhood. I get an astonashing number of older men and women just stop and say nice car, what is it? Looks very nice and agressive, never seen one of those before etc etc.

Last week I was behind a Yaris, driven by an elderly gent, for a few Miles, then when I had a chance I overtook and left him behind. Went to Petrol Station for my V-Power a few more miles on and as I start filling up said same Yaris Gent pulls in and winds his window down.

"Wanna swap my Love"?? LOLOL, no thank you Sir. Then came the Questions of what is it etc......

As he walked off he said Lovely Motor Darling, if I was 20 years younger I would love one. (He was in his 70s at a Guess,lol)

Also, we live on the main Road into our Village now and loads of Tourists pass daily and often I stand in the Upstairs Window to look out and people are slowing down and staring at the Supra in the Drive way a lot :D

Edited by keancy (see edit history)