The mkiv Supra Owners Club

LED sidelights & HID lights

JS2004

Hello,

sorry if this topic has been flogged to death but ive spent the better part of 2 hours going through the various posts and now i feel thoroughly confused to put it mildly..

I bought these in the hopes of having a feint blueish effect http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=180310856486 however mr policeman has informed me this may not strictly be legal (if the link no longer works, it is 2x 4led blue 501 w5w 194 sidelight wedge bulbs).

Ive taken their advice and seems that it should be a white sidelight of which I am hoping http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2pcs-501-W5W-Wide-Angle-12-LED-White-Dash-Wedge-Bulbs_W0QQitemZ200367008143QQcategoryZ72233QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m183QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%252BS%252BIA%26itu%3DSI%252BUS-BWR%252BUCI%252BIA%252BUCC%252BPSS%252BCRS%252BIT%252BUA%252BIEW%26otn%3D8%26ps%3D33 fits the bill (again if link doesnt work these are 2pcs 501 W5W Wide Angle 12 LED (White) Dash Wedge Bulbs.

Onto the next area of confusion. I found this link for HID conversion kits which is a snippet from an auto express episode http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/videos/featuresvideos/204742/xenon_test.html which is basically saying drivers are buying HID conversion sets in the hope they make the road safer - but end up doing the opposite. so although i want a HID set for the safety aspect im now confused (again) - the vast array of HID sets for sale is also confusing. so far ive gathered i need a 6000k HID Set for my dipped headlights as something about them needing to warm up makes them ineffective for high beam flashing.

I had recently bought http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=230337278194 (TOYOTA SUPRA 93-99 XENON BULBS ICE BLUE HID SET) which claims it is E APPROVED & LEGAL FOR ROAD USE.. but im still not sure if i should go for a HID dipped headlight conversion or not.

My lights are non-facelift jspec which are unfortunately yellowed but I do aim to have these refurbed soon..

What im having trouble understanding is the following:

1) Are the white LEDS I intend to get going to be legal (or should I wait for the sidelights from the xenon bulb set to arrive).

2) Is it worthwhile and safe to get the HID kit - if so, is the correct kit going to be 6000k hb3 - Ive seen kits for sale on ebay and via here (knight-racer) but the sheer amount of them makes me go "huh :blink:"

I wont even attempt to understand the bi-xenon stuff yet :)

Again, very sorry to be asking a question that has been asked in the past, but as mentioned I did use the search tool for a while and ended up knowing more but being more confused :) (should point out im still a complete car newb).

Thanks in advance for your time ;)

Edited by JS2004 (see edit history)

I hardly ever use main beam. And the normal bulbs are fine.

I have dipped ones but i forget which ones they are. probably 6000k. But they are white not slightly tinted. They are a lot better than stock dipped. By warming up they only take 5 seconds or so to reach full brightness. So by the time you have started the car and moving off they are ready. And unless you wait for it to get pitch black before turning them on while driving you wont notice.

Imo HID main beams is not needed. The flashing at people is the main thing for me. Just dont see the point. Same with HID fog lights. I can count on one hand the number of times in the last 5 years ive actualy needed to use my fog lights.

As far as i know HID's can be illegal. However thats only on cars that dont have ajustable headlights. Which the supra has... It also depends on the kind of headlight. My HID's, Like it shows in that video have a very defined patern. Its so distinct that i see nothing infront of me then it suddenly comes into view. If you like later tonight i might head out and show you if your that concerned :p

I have white led's as sidelights (reminds me i need to buy one as i lost it somewhere :S)

Ive never had a problem with them. There isnt any reason why they should be illegal. They are not dazzleing or anything. They are only led's after all.

Edited by Guigsy (see edit history)