The mkiv Supra Owners Club

hello info on non-turbos

jammyb86

hello there. I bought my toyota supra last sunday, a black non-turbo supra import with tinted windows and nice 18inch with a slight (not deep dish) wolfrace asia-tech alloys, its an awesome machine, I have always wanted one since the early days of gran turismo on playstation and reading about their power in various magazines. I'm so happy that I finally own one! I part-ex my black mr2 roadster (vvt-i) which was a fun car, but was lacking that extra something. I chatted to some guys about Supras at the JTS show at silverstone and I decided to go ahead on their world of reliabilty and the fact they just look awesome. So a couple of months later I saw one on pistonheads and made the journey last Sunday from Worcester to Huddersfield to get a good deal which I did. The supra did need new front tyres and needs front brake pads (please advise on which ones to buy cosidering the RED STUFF). The car is beautiful to drive and is a car that you feel you are in total control of. Right anyway lol, I would like some info on my non-turbo, I believe the car is 225bhp? and is capable of 155mph?? I think my supra is restricted as the dials only go up to 110mph? How often does the car need to be serviced and are there any niggles with the non-turbo to watch out for. Also any place i can get a new gear knob (not a showpiece on) a new handbrake and maybe a manual in english? also need new headlights glass/plastic?? Thanks for reading let me know James

mysupra2.jpg

my supra.jpg

Edited by jammyb86 (see edit history)

the NA engine is a good solid lump. Failiures on anything are quite rare. 225 bhp and 155mhp is about right. Some people slate the EBC pads, i have red stuff on my uk car at the moment and although they do squeal occasionaly they are good enough for general driving. although i havent had to use them in anger since ive put them on.

Not sure about why the dials only go up to 110mph :S that doesnt sound right. even if it was kmph and converted into mph thats a bit backwards. as thats a speedo that only goes upto 75 mph or something lol. Or do you mean the car wont go past 110 mph? If its the latter yes its probably still restricted.

2 things when it comes to supras.

1) Get some decent tyres. all the cheep ones are rubbish. (see quote in sig)

2) Get a propper alignment done.

Both will prevent you binning the car into a tree/ditch/barrior or at least make it a lot harder :p

anyway of finding out if it is still restricted? The dials defo have a maximum of 110mph I will upload a picture to show you

Do you have a satnav that tells you how fast your going? If you were to be, for example, travelling above 110 mph and the needle was off the scale, you could still see how fast your going on the GPS. Obviously, hypothetically speaking, you could then find out your top speed. You could then also post your score in the following thread. Not that I am suggesting you do this of course....just saying if you were to do it...you know....:run:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=190202&highlight=top+speed

Guest dragondrummer
hello there. I bought my toyota supra last sunday, a black non-turbo supra import with tinted windows and nice 18inch with a slight (not deep dish) wolfrace asia-tech alloys, its an awesome machine, I have always wanted one since the early days of gran turismo on playstation and reading about their power in various magazines. I'm so happy that I finally own one! I part-ex my black mr2 roadster (vvt-i) which was a fun car, but was lacking that extra something. I chatted to some guys about Supras at the JTS show at silverstone and I decided to go ahead on their world of reliabilty and the fact they just look awesome. So a couple of months later I saw one on pistonheads and made the journey last Sunday from Worcester to Huddersfield to get a good deal which I did. The supra did need new front tyres and needs front brake pads (please advise on which ones to buy cosidering the RED STUFF). The car is beautiful to drive and is a car that you feel you are in total control of. Right anyway lol, I would like some info on my non-turbo, I believe the car is 225bhp? and is capable of 155mph?? I think my supra is restricted as the dials only go up to 110mph? How often does the car need to be serviced and are there any niggles with the non-turbo to watch out for. Also any place i can get a new gear knob (not a showpiece on) a new handbrake and maybe a manual in english? also need new headlights glass/plastic?? Thanks for reading let me know James

welcome!

i have a black n/a import,wonderful machine! my speedo only reads up to 110mph too,also it is restricted to 112mph im led to believe.

as far as problems go? not too many really,being the n/a,the lump is fairly unstressed so should be a strong reliable engine,just as long as you keep an eye on ya fluids,(ooher).check ya oil,(duh,yeah i know,obvious),check coolant is completely free from corrosion/oil,preferably still filled with the red for life toyota antifreeze.make sure ya cambelt is within its service limit,(along with the tensioner bearing),i recently changed belts and tensioner,took me 3 hours,no special tools and cost me around 70 quid for all the parts.not much else to worry about.

put fuel in one end,jump in the other end,press foot down,enjoy!!!!!!!!

p.s. if its the yellowing on ya headlight glass that ya worried about,i just used t-cut on them,took a lot of elbow grease but they finally went clear again.atleast good enough until ya get new ones if ya still not satisfied.

Edited by dragondrummer (see edit history)