The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Drifting in an N/A

SupraP-Z

Am i right in thinking that you cant drift properly, if at all in an N/A because it doesnt come with LSD? because of the rear wheels not spinning at the same time, losing more traction more on one wheel or something :S i cant remember! I dont think my N/A has LSD...open diff maybe. If this is the case...where could i get one? and does it make any difference to normal driving? sorry if this question has been answered...ive looked! honest!

Has anyone on here ever had their diff welded. (I already doubt it) My friend is competing in the semi pro edc, He runs a welded diff in his s13. It sounds terrible on a tight turn, But loads of fun in the wet. All sub frame bushed had to be replaced with solid brass ones so its very loud indeed. :)

I was going to suggest speaking to JustGav, but he's beaten me to it! :D I have experienced a little sideways action in his car, and I can confirm that NAs can drift.

Look at your VIN plate on the car. IIRC there should be a transmission section on the plate: "A" means it has (or had when it left the factory!) an open diff, "B" means it has/had an LSD.

Edited by stevie_b (see edit history)

Guest exceed
If someone had the money I'd love to see what a Skyline active diff could do in a circuit race Supra. Ryan could handle the electronics, in fact Ryan's car would be a good candidate once it' dialled in in it's current guise.

How much would somehting like that cost? And are you talking about the ATESA*&!^@*&^£*@ system or whatever it's called :D?

God knows, you'd need custom driveshafts and diff mounts, and a custom rear 1/2 of the propshaft. The later ones have an electronically driven HP hydraulic pump in the boot, and the pressure on the plates is hydraulically controlled. I'd have a G sensor in the middle of the car and a steering input sensor, and play around adding clamping pressure dependent on accelerator position, lateral G and steering position. It's all old hat in F1, there'll be people still around that will have a good idea how best to make it work, mapping wise. No corner entry understeer, neutral mid corner and superb traction out of the corner. Then you could map for starts, and for drifting, blah blah.