The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Steve's Project thread

Steve

About 8 weeks ago my car developed an alarming knocking noise from the bottom of the engine and started to smoke quite alot from the exhaust. I had always had a thought in the back of my mind that I would be rebuilding the engine at some point but with these problems occuring I have decided to get it done.

Well today I made a start, I managed to hire an engine hoist for £20 for the weekend so wasn't too bad :)

With the engine out I removed everything from the inlet side of the engine, then made a start on the turbo side. After removing the compressor cover i noticed i had some play in the shaft, after removing the shaft from the housing I found this.

You will see some parts of the exhaust blades are chipped :(

Then i saw this :(

I can also see what looks like some damage inside the main housing where it looks like something has gone through, I didn't get any pictures of this as its very hard to see. I have inspected the inside of the exhaust manifold, but that all looks good :)

Tomorrow I will hopefully pull the head off and see if anything has come away and gone through the turbo.

Anyway, onto some of the new parts :cool:

CP Pistons

Carillo H Beam Rods

ARP Head/Main studs

Other parts I am ordering tomorrow:

OEM Water Pump

OEM Oil Pump

OEM Crank pulley

Complete Engine Gasket/seal set

OEM Flywheel bolts

OEM Cambelt

OEM Fanbelt

Pilot Bearing

Cambelt tensioner

Whifbitz Stage 4 head

When I have all these parts I shall be taking them and the block to Tony (TLicense) who is doing the main assembly for me. Hopefully then i can just bolt on all the ancilleries and drop it back in :)

After todays work it now leaves my engine bay looking like this (and no I didn't use the hammer :D)

Also looks like the car is on stilts :D

I just need to decide now what I do with the turbo :think:

Photo056.jpg

Photo059.jpg

Photo060.jpg

Photo057.jpg

Photo049.jpg

Photo051.jpg

Photo047.jpg

Photo055.jpg

Edited by Steve (see edit history)

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well it looks like your really going to town on this, no expense spared. Mind you i suppose whilst its out you may aswell replace what you can. Good luck with the outcome. Me not being massively clued up on engine mechanical work, that certainly looks like a daunting task :blink:

Hope all goes well mate, no doubt will will update this as and when things progress. Subscibed ;)

Been looking forward to this engine build Steve. Best of luck with the build. How about getting a billet 6765? :D

Im using this Tubbi on my build thread, be interesting to see what ryan can get out it on stock engine??

Steve

What brand was that exhaust housing on the turbo chap?

AET in the UK think they have found a reason why this is happening on the precision Gt4088 turbos and other precision units. Im told its to do with the exhaust housings!

One thing i have noticed is on the gt4088 with a garrett exhausting housings, it has not happened!

All the turbos that have gone have had precision exhaust housings i have found....

Ryan

The wierd thing is i never see this happen on any other cars with any turbo even the gt4088.

Steve

What brand was that exhaust housing on the turbo chap?

AET in the UK think they have found a reason why this is happening on the precision Gt4088 turbos and other precision units. Im told its to do with the exhaust housings!

One thing i have noticed is on the gt4088 with a garrett exhausing housing it has not happened!

All the turbos that have gone have had precision exhaust housings i have found....

Ryan

The wierd thing is i never see this happen on any other cars with any turbo even the gt4088.

Ryan, I will double check tomorrow but I beleive it is a Precision housing (0.68a/r).

I was going to offer you the use of this turbo whilst i rebuilding the engine, but i guess not now :D

Ryan, I will double check tomorrow but I beleive it is a Precision housing (0.68a/r).

I was going to offer you the use of this turbo whilst i rebuilding the engine, but i guess not now :D

Thanks Steve, Very thoughtful mate

All the precision turbos i have seen have garrett CHRA housing but have their own brand of exhaust housing and compressor housings

Well I managed to get home early from work this afternoon so was able to spend some time getting the cam shafts out.

I was then able to undo the 14 head bolts and lift the head off.

I am now just waiting for the OEM parts and head from Paul Whiffin then i shall be taking it all down to Tony :)

Photo061.jpg

Photo062.jpg

Photo063.jpg

Photo064.jpg

Photo065.jpg

I can't see anything that has caused the damage to the turbo. EGT sensor is just above the wastegate and is still in one piece.

I may take the turbo to Turbo Technics and see if they can see a cause/issue with the turbo.

Great write up. Looking forward to seeing the new parts going in. Did you notice the turbo's running badly before the rebuild? (sorry if missed something)

p.s. the engine so close to the shiny paint work keeps making me nervous. can you move it?

It won't move, even with me undoing the head bolts it didn't move at all :)

It was still creating boost, just not what it should. The knocking noise it had from the block was the worrying thing. So will have to see what has happened in the block when its taken apart.

• 3 weeks later...

As i have been waiting for the OEM parts and head, i started some work on the electrics that are changing. I have removed the Racelogic Traction Control, the HKS EVC6 Boost Controller.

I also removed the resistor pack as i am changing to a high impedance injector which meant i had to rejoin the injector cables, so i soldered them back together and used some heat shrink to cover them.

Thats about it for now :)

DSCF0005.jpg

• 2 weeks later...