The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Spraying engine bay parts ???

Jamesy

I am tempted to "jazz" up the look of the engine bay a bit.

its nice n tidy but nothing out the ordingary or unique.

I like the idea of the whole shiny engine but truth is havnet got the cash to do that right now as would rather spend on other bits on the car.

So my question is, is it possible to remove things like spark plug cover, fuse box cover, washer fluid caps, fan shroud etc and spray them a colour of your choice?

if so, would it look good or a bit sh!t? am i best to maybe just spray the spark plug cover and save up for bling on the rest?

As you can see below my engine bay needs a bit of something in there to get it looking smart i think...

Edited by Jamesy (see edit history)

To start with give it a good spray with autoglym engine cleaner and jet wash the lot, then remove and spray the bits you want, im very anti bling these days, spraying bits up looks loads better i think, get stuck in and show us what you do:)

To start with give it a good spray with autoglym engine cleaner and jet wash the lot, then remove and spray the bits you want, im very anti bling these days, spraying bits up looks loads better i think, get stuck in and show us what you do:)

Cheers guys

so just spray engine cleaner All over it and jet wash the whole lot?? Is that safe to do then?

Do u need ti use special paint or primer or anything due to the heat??

What do u guys reckon to spraying blue to keep the small blue theme already in there? (its a silver car)

I always thaught jetwashing the engine was a bad idea :S

Mine badly needs cleaning. Would have to take it to tesco to jet wash it though as i dont have one. or the ability to use one at home cause i live in a row of terraces. lol

But i guess you have to let it dry before you drive it.

I used some Autoglym engine degreaser on mine, just spray it all over, work with a brush then i carefully rinse off, trying to avoid electrics. Then use some black to black type stuff on the plastics.

Here's mine, although it was pretty clean before anyway.

I used some Autoglym engine degreaser on mine, just spray it all over, work with a brush then i carefully rinse off, trying to avoid electrics. Then use some black to black type stuff on the plastics.

Here's mine, although it was pretty clean before anyway.

very smart mate! ;)

Here's a pic of mine from about 3 years ago after I attacked it with some yellow paint (don't ask, but I've always gone for a black and yellow combo on all of my cars ... it's like my 'thing' that I do).

Anyway, it turned out pretty good in the end, and the paint is still going strong with no cracking or peeling. The only areas where paint has come off are the bits where I have dropped spanners, or slipped with a screwdriver etc :p.

I just had a really hard time finding all the pipes I needed in yellow, which is why there is some 'rogue' blue in there :rolleyes:

Cheers, J