The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Na to TT - Pros and cons?

0lly

I've been looking for a TT and would rather a manual (along with most), but of course they don't come cheap - Outside my budget.

I've noticed a surprisingly large amount of NA - TT converted cars and they seem to sell for good money.

It would suit me perfect to buy an NA, save up a bit, and then do the conversion rather then forking out £7k+ in one lump.

What are the pros and cons of doing this conversion?

I've tried a search but all terms are omitted.

Cheers,

Olly

It's far more cost effective in the long term to buy a 'proper' TT 6spd than go the NA-TT route.

Just as a guideline:

NA: £3-6k dependant on year/condition

TT conversion: £1.7k

6spd conversion: £2.5k (Difficult to source)

ABS installation: £500 (if the NA doesn't have it)

Issues with NA-TT conversions:

Insurance

resale value

Most of people here who've done the NA-TT conversion are people that either have a very good/late model NA, or have already invested a lot of money into one. It's not a cost effective option if you are starting from fresh.

It's far more cost effective in the long term to buy a 'proper' TT 6spd than go the NA-TT route.

Just as a guideline:

NA: £3-6k dependant on year/condition

TT conversion: £1.7k

6spd conversion: £2.5k (Difficult to source)

ABS installation: £500 (if the NA doesn't have it)

Issues with NA-TT conversions:

Insurance

resale value

Most of people here who've done the NA-TT conversion are people that either have a very good/late model NA, or have already invested a lot of money into one. It's not a cost effective option if you are starting from fresh.

Ah ok, takes that out of the equation then!

Cheers for that :)

I think i'm going to go down the route of buying an n/a then doing a TT conversion, but with a full TT engine rather than turbo-ing the n/a engine, that's when i find someone willing to give me a price for the conversion.

Not bothered about re-sale value as i plan on keeping this car for a long time.

I was thinking about the same thing. But, I've decided to keep my N/A at exactly that. Do a few basic modifications, exhaust, wheels etc. Whilst saving up and sourcing a TT6 from somewhere, possibly Jurgen. Just seen Andrew's Top Secret (3 of 4;)) Supra, sourced by Jurgen.... gorgeous.

Speaking form experience I'd make sure you check the engine out from the donor car if possible and dont just take someones word for it that the engine is in good order. I did just that and I've had nothing but problems.

That said it still wouldnt have changed my mind about the conversion as when the car has been working it's been fantastic.

:yeahthat:

Yep, good advice for anyone going N/A-TT, make sure you source the engine from somewhere reputable where they can do a full inspection before they sell it on to you.

I took the gamble based on price and it has cost me BIG time! In fact almost 12 months on and I had to buy a brand new short block and almost new head as the donor engine was dead.

The mistake I made was in thinking the suplier was reputable and I didnt do things on the cheap either. :(

I have actually considerd getting another engine and swaping it. The only thing thats stopping me is the fact that once mine is finally sorted I know that it will have been done properly and that most of the engine will be built out of new parts.

If we are talking manual and you want to go for a TT6 box then it's not worth it. The NA box is good for BPU, depending on it's condition.

I am Auto so did the autobox, propshaft and diff at the same time. I carried the work out with my girlfrieds brother after getting a good donar car.

1.7k was mentioned but i take it that was to convert the NA to TT

I know Keron on the board does them.

I think it is a 'just' a straight engine swap (NA out, TT in) with other bits swapped over as opposed to 'converting' the N/A engine. Only seen people 'converting' N/A's into singles which is very expensive if you are doing it right.