The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Aero Catch Fitment

JamesArup

Howdy guys,

Is anyone else using Aero Catch Bonnet Pins on their Supra?

Just got my hands on a set to replace my shoddy old, rusting pins .. thus: -

But I have a dilemma. If I fit them vertically as in the picture below, it looks like I am going to end up with a gap under the lip of the catch due to the curvature of the bonnet, as seen in the pics below: -

My other option is to fit them 'horizontally' rather than vertically, which seems to eliminate the gap caused by the bonnet curve. However, I will be left with a couple of small screw-holes in the bonnet from the old pins (these holes will be covered up if I go for the vertical fitment). Horizontal will look something like this:-

Has anyone else fitted these, does the curvature of the bonnet not make much difference once they are seated, or did you have to put a bit of silocone in there or something to seal it up?

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers, J :eyebrows:

I saw them on another one with a CF bonnet and they were vertical, infact, doing a google search, there seem to be a few that are vertical.

I prefer horizontal to be honest, but I don't want to have to look at the holes left by my old pins everyday, that would drive me nuts. Vertical will solve that problem :p

Yah, saw yours Heckler .. look really good :)

The problem is that if I go horizontal, the screw-hole at the top (from my old pins) in the pic below will be left exposed. I can't think of any way to fill it that won't end up looking rubbish!

p.s. Yes Darragh, that's the template on my bonnet in the pics :)

The problem is that if I go horizontal, the screw-hole at the top (from my old pins) in the pic below will be left exposed. I can't think of any way to fill it that won't end up looking rubbish!

http://http://www.bouncingbullet.com/images/aero5.jpg

ahha... bit of a bugger that... guess you'll be mounting them vertically!

http://www.bouncingbullet.com/images/aero5.jpg

p.s. Yes Darragh, that's the template on my bonnet in the pics :)

cool im away to get me some thank you:D

Well, got them fitted, and I think they look really nice ... but what a sod of a job!

I figured that because I already had the pins in place, it would be nice and simple as my old ones fit perfectly into the Aero Catch anyway. Alas no, because of the depth of the Aero Catch housing, the pin itself needs to enter at a slight angle to account for the curvature of the bonnet. So if you stick the pins in straight, it won't fit!

For now, I've rigged up an over-elaborate rig to hold the pins at the correct angle. I'll try to remove the headlights to do a proper job of it next weekend (it was too wet and I was too busy today!).

Overall, they look good though, and it seems that I had no reason to worry about the gap because once they are in, and screwed down, there is no gap :)

Pics tomorrow :D

And here are the pics.

Fitted with the bonnet closed: -

Looks nice and neat there. A cunning disguise for the utter carnage that has taken place under the bonnet. This is the temporary solution that we had to put together when we realised that it was getting dark, raining and I had to drive to work in the morning.

Hopefully we can do the job properly next weekend, but I think we'll need to remove the headlights (no idea how to do that), and the battery etc to make some space in there!

Cheers. J;)