The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help required to replace rear speakers

DSK

I have just bought these http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-in-phase-xtc42-xtc62_p-21424.htm from their store, and got them £5 cheaper in the shop.

I have done a search and it appears that removal of the door card is required to do my front speakers, so I'll leave that for audio call out type person.

However, can anyone tell me how to access the rear speakers so that I can change them myself?

im sure the card just pop off dude, did mine ages ago. give it a gentle pull they should come away and pop back into place once you do the speakers

I'm not one for focing thing sand being left with loose interior fittings. Thanks for this, I'll give it a gentle fiddle but nothing more.

Just had a go at this....

Seem to have located the fixing screws around the door card area, undid those, undid the speak cover (need to remove door card to replace these, cannot just whip em' out). Tried to jiggle the rear 1/4 panel about but to no avail, I just didn't fancy pulling any harder only to break some plastic clip etc.

Just screwed everything back up and going to call around a few fitters lol.

Thanks for the help anyway guys.

Removing door card:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=163088&highlight=removing+door+card

The rear speaker covers do just pull out (just the covers, not the whole panel). You might need to wedge a blunt knife in behind them to get behind it to pull it out though as it is a bit recessed. But yeah... if you're not confident just get someone else to do it :)

I had a screwdriver under the speaker unit itself with the speak er cover removed and the screws undone. With a light pressure there did not seem to be any movement so gave up lol.

I'm of the mentality that I should not have to force things too much, when I have done so in the past in my BMW the typical locking pastic bits all snapped :rolleyes:

Actually, if you are sure they just pop out with a knife of something, I'll nip out and try again one last time :)

I had a screwdriver under the speaker unit itself with the speak er cover removed and the screws undone. With a light pressure there did not seem to be any movement so gave up lol.

I'm of the mentality that I should not have to force things too much, when I have done so in the past in my BMW the typical locking pastic bits all snapped :rolleyes:

Actually, if you are sure they just pop out with a knife of something, I'll nip out and try again one last time :)

You have to remove the rear seats to get the rear speaker cards off, there is a couple of screws below the seat line and there is one in the door shut and 3 in the boot, the top pops out with a yank.

Jamie P - If that's the case then I'll be leaving this to a pro!

Had my last and final attempt. Got further with a glimmer of hope.... but then sods law another issue.

1. remove the speaker cover

2. undo the gold ish coloured bolts that hold the speaker to the silver metal mounting plate.

3. The speaker is held onto the mounting plate with some further adhesive. Wedge a screwdriver between the two, work it loose and then work your way round and the speaker unit itself detaches.

4. The wires that connect to the OE speaker are soldered on rather than plug and play type connectors. So now I have given up!

The new units have their own screws and cables but this will be left for a pro.