The mkiv Supra Owners Club

how do you use a portacable?

supra dan

i have a portacable polisher, menzerna cut, fine cut and black polish. ive looked at the detailing sites but i must be thick, they say do a small area at a a time so does this mean i apply some cut to say half the boot lid then change to a polishing mop to take it off? cant i just do the whole car then polish it off?

I know Todd's replied but I typed this all out anyway so don't want to waste it!

This is roughly what I do... I'd say do about 1/4 of a panel at a time, unless it's the bonnet which I usually divide into smaller sections. Apply your polish to the pad, 4 pea sized polish blobs should do, then gently press the pad against the area you're polishing just to spread it lightly on the paint so when you turn the polisher on you don't end up slinging polish all over the shop.

Once there's a bit of polish on the paint start the polisher at a slow speed and spread the polish all over the section you're doing.

Once it's evenly spread then up the speed and work it with light pressure into the paint, in small overlapping circles, until the polish goes from looking pastey to almost clear (should take roughly 5 -10 mins per section). Once you've done that just wipe it off with a soft towel then move onto the next section doing the same.

Generally use a lighter cut and softer pads to start and see if you're happy with the results. Don't keep the machine going in one spot for too long, keep it moving about slowly. Don't leave polish on the car and buff it off like a wax, you need to remove the polish as soon as you're done polishing otherwise you might end up marking the paint. Polish isn't meant to be dried out.

I'm no pro but that should see you alright. Hope that helps a bit mate. Don't worry if it's taking ages as well, it's meant to :)