The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA-TT Conversion advice

pjavon

Right I'm seriously thinking of the conversion, I've got a 94 NA 5Sp manual with LSD. Can anyone that's had it done tell the pitfalls of the job. I will be leaving it standard power with maybe bpu in the future.

I have searched but most post's seem to be what people have heard not actual facts, it will probably be Keron doing the conversion for me.

I believe the standard clutch should be o.k for standard power?

And the gearbox should be o.k. up to about 350Bhp

I have had quotes on insurance from Ollie which aren't as bad as i thought.

Any help is really appreciated

I was advicedby Chris Wilson to change clutch to TRD one to hold the power. Some people driving on W58 boxes with standard TT engine and they are fine, some boxes are blowing away with this kind of powers. Common practice is to swap box to either R154 box from mk3 Supra or 6speed Getrag, which is bulletproof.

yep uprate the clutch anyway. Silverstone garrage do that as default when they do conversions i think.

Most people running bpu seem to be fine. but once you start running near the 400's the box cant take the torque. Remember its the torque that kills boxes not bhp.

i was going to get an rps clutch when i done the conversion. unfortunatly because of the exchange rates it worked out at around £500. used to be around £300 i think

Just out of interest, what clutch did you go for in the end for your conversion?

You dont need an uprated fuel pump to run stock boost on a tt engine. The pump is the same on the n/a as the tt. The RPS clutch IMO is a bit of an over kill, i had one in mine and if you can find another clutch that is cheaper you will be fine. Try and find one that is lighter as well as my clutch leg in traffic was verging on painful.

The box will do for BPU power, but depends on how you drive as well. Dibbleyuk killed his 5 speed box running full BPU. As said a MK3 box can be used although its a bit of work getting parts together etc as there isn't many about. But a replacement 5 speed can be picked up for £200 too so no biggy if you do destroy your current one.