The mkiv Supra Owners Club

VVTI GE & 6 Speed SZ-R Box

northstretch

Hey guys,

I did a search but couldnt find the answers i was looking for.

I currently own a nasp auto aerotop.

I've been trying to track down a w58 to manual it. But also my engine has done quite high miles, so i though while i got the gearbox out and have easy access to the underneath of the car i was planning on swapping in a new lump.

The problem is im really not a big fan of turbos and would preffer to keep it nasp but get as much hp out of it without stumbling over into the realm of diminishing returns.

So i have two questions which hopefully someone here can answer.

1 . The 6 speed nasp box from the SZ-R, does anyone know the code for this? Is is the same box as the Altezza/IS200? How strong is the box? I want a box for high RPM so its going to be either this box or the w58. What are the ratios like compared to the 58?

2. I've been offered a very cheap and low mileage 2JZ-GE from a mk2 GS300. As far as i see, i'll need to change over the Sump/Pickup, Mounts, exhaust and of course swap in the GS330's VVTI ECU. But is it as straight a swap as this or were there any changes when the JZ went VVTI that i should be aware of? Any problems i may run into? Will an Auto ECU be ok with a manual box or will i need to track down a manual vvti ge ecu from the states?

Cheers Chaps

Lee

Edited by northstretch (see edit history)

Hi most of what you need to know is here:-

http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/index.htm

AFAIK the V161 Getrag boxes used in late SZ-R's are the same as used in later TTs with a different size clutch and diff ratio. I'm sure the propshaft is different between auto and manual as is the diff ratio.

The VVTi GE engine was again I think only used in very late models and not sure what was different between them and the earlier LARSE versions.

As to the GS/IS questions regarding compatibility I have no idea!

Hi there,

Many Thanks for the reply.

I've decided the 6 speed is too difficult to find so im going for a W58 as its readily available.

VVTI was only on the 2JZ-GE supras in the US, so i should be able to get my hands on a US manual ECU.

I've just purchased a late VVTI 2JZ-GE from a Lexus GS300.

So im going to strip this down over next weekend, then send the head off to be reworked.

Cheers

Lee

My engine has done 200K+ miles and is starting to use oil. Plus as i want to carry out head work its better to do that on another engine so that i can continue to use mine until i've rebuilt the engine and its ready to go in. Also for a high rpm application the VVTI will give better results.

Yep, I know it would cost the average person a lot of money. But luckly im getting the head work done for free and I've already bought everything i need for the conversion - except for the ecu.

Im pretty confident i'll be able to make around 300fwhp within the 1k budget i've set myself.