The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I am gutted!

Guest bonomitch

Guest bonomitch

Just found out that my car is a cat C from way back in 1998. It's obviously been repaired since then and had about 10 mot's.

Is there anyway I can get like a super mot where some one can inspect the car to confirm it's been repaired properly and is safe etc?

How do I find out exactly what the damage was?

How much will it be worth now?

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=188097

How come you didn't find this out when you bought it? Who and where did you buy it from - they should have declared it as CAT C and I would have thought when you insured it, it would have flagged as CAT C on the insurer's database. How have you just found out?

It should have gone through an inspection to get it back on the rd, without that i doubt your covered on your insurance.

Also as far as the trade is concerned a Cat C is worth approx 50% of its pre accident value.

added a link to company that does inspections IF it passes then they will remove the cat c of the data base BUT will still come up on the hpi as damaged repaired to insurance standards. you really need to know what the damage was before hand as if you have any bodyfiller in any panel more than 2.5mm thick it will fail.

http://www.autoligninspections.co.uk/

cat c and d don't need full inspections to get them on the road just a VIC which only checks the car is not a ringer and that the engine and body match the number plate. the repairs are down to the owner and it is the owners duty to make sure the car is roadworthy and the MOT is an annual check on this. so the car can be bought, sold and driven as long as it is roadworthy.

if you get it checked and the check says it is not roadworthy you ought to take it off the road and it will give you problems selling it if you don't declare that fact.

cat c and d don't need full inspections to get them on the road just a VIC which only checks the car is not a ringer and that the engine and body match the number plate. the repairs are down to the owner and it is the owners duty to make sure the car is roadworthy and the MOT is an annual check on this. so the car can be bought, sold and driven as long as it is roadworthy.

if you get it checked and the check says it is not roadworthy you ought to take it off the road and it will give you problems selling it if you don't declare that fact.

Good points. Sorry if I was grumpy earlier - I hadn't had my morning protein shake ;)

Guest bonomitch
added a link to company that does inspections IF it passes then they will remove the cat c of the data base BUT will still come up on the hpi as damaged repaired to insurance standards. you really need to know what the damage was before hand as if you have any bodyfiller in any panel more than 2.5mm thick it will fail.

http://www.autoligninspections.co.uk/

cheers for the info. This is the kind of thing I'm after. Anyone know of any ireland based outfits that are registered with HPI as well?

What about the value - apprently it was cheap already...

thanks.

Guest bonomitch
Am I going to be the first to point this out:

-Car imported 8 or 9 years ago

-Cat C write off 11 years ago

That doesn't add up :search:

True that - my mistake I meant to say it was converted when imported. Before the previous owner had it and he owned for 8 or 9. It must have been hit before the previous owner then. Now trying to find out how it was hit and how it was recovered... not very easy.

How much do you want for it?

I really don't know.... how much is it worth??