The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Unusual early Supra engine for sale

Chris Wilson

used to be big into my mkiii's this engine isnt rated much for the ga70 chassis, not powerfull enough to haul that heavy supra ass about and costs a fair bit to get alot of power out of, general concensus on the mkiii site is get the 1jz .... sorry tom not saying your car is crap mate, still a good engine just not good enough for a 1500kg car IMO

just watched your video is that a narrow body and manual? very rare car

naah normal widebody :D

yeha I know what you are saying about weight, I bought this almost purely on sound :innocent:

it does need more boost but if I keep this i'll be going 1JZ/2JZ with it ;)

Is that the same "SupraMan" that was mentioned on here previously?

nope :)

I have a 7mgte engine sitting spare on the garage floor if you fancy that Tom ;)

I will have a 7M car one day, maybe a JDM one, I'd like to actually get it built properly to stop these HG's keep blowing ;)

out of interest how much are you looking for and what condition is it in? :)

I will have a 7M car one day, maybe a JDM one, I'd like to actually get it built properly to stop these HG's keep blowing ;)

out of interest how much are you looking for and what condition is it in? :)

ahh the 7M i built a 426 HP one about 4 years ago (rolling road at the fly) i have no idea what happend to it now, id like to think with the HKS MHG it is still going somewere but i guess you never know

It's very similar to the 2L engine fitted to the IS I believe

Similar, but better :)

1G-FE vs 1G-GTE.

1 = First version of the engine type

G = Engine type

G = Wide valve angle head (performance), F = narrow valve angle head (economy)

T = turbo

E = EFI

If you turbo the FE you either have to keep the boost down or use forged pistons and stronger rods.

A few years ago there was a drag race old-school Celica in Australia with a 1G-GTE which had been bought from a scrapyard for 200 dollars, never opened up, and was dyno'ed at 575 bhp (on a single, obviously) - 10.08 seconds at 139 mph. They claimed to have run it at up to 45psi on the dyno, but it was slower on the strip, no traction, so they went back down to about 25psi.

Edited by garethr (see edit history)

Gareth seeing as you know pretty much everything about Toyota motors :D Any idea how much the 1GGTE's can take stock? And if I was to build it what rods/pistons are available?
LOL... I just read a lot :smartass:

I think cptsideways tweaked the 1G in his 20-Series Soarer before he fitted the 1JZ (I bid on that car on eBay before Declan bought it, that's why I read up on the 1G). I guess the problem is that it's a pretty old engine now - did Toyota use it after the 1JZ was introduced? - so it might be difficult to find uprated parts.

I do know that they are really popular in Australia, so the Toymods forum is probably the best place to find people who really know what they're talking about. :)

there is a lad at where i work got one of these in his lexus IS 200quite a nice conversion

That'll be me! The lad Nodalmighty knows is the guy who fitted it for me. damn good job he's done as well.

It's very similar to the 2L engine fitted to the IS I believe

Similar, but better :)

1G-FE vs 1G-GTE.

1 = First version of the engine type

G = Engine type

G = Wide valve angle head (performance), F = narrow valve angle head (economy)

T = turbo

E = EFI

If you turbo the FE you either have to keep the boost down or use forged pistons and stronger rods.

Thats right, we reckon anything above 0.4 and your pushing your luck with the FE engine.

I guess the problem is that it's a pretty old engine now - did Toyota use it after the 1JZ was introduced? - so it might be difficult to find uprated parts.

I do know that they are really popular in Australia, so the Toymods forum is probably the best place to find people who really know what they're talking about. :)

Yeah theres a few bits offered on Toymods in Oz but they are rare over here.

Just managed to get myself some adjustable cam gears for mine.

Believed to be one of only two pairs in this country.

and not many sets in Oz either.

That engine you linked to is the engine i got the Adjustables from. Hes selling the engine on Mkiii forum as well. The guy who built mine was/is looking at buying it for his project car.

Edited by sparkystav (see edit history)