• Pirelli Pzero Nero
    • Yokohama S.Drive
    • Toyo T1-R
    • Goodyear Eagle F1
    • Michelin Pilot Sport
    • Continental Pro Contact
    • Pirelli Pzero Rosso
    • Toyo R888

Just totally out of interest i though i'd do a poll on what Rear tyres everyone would pick to use. Not what their dream choice or what they would love to have but what they probably would normally go for if it came time to replace.

The tyres are based on 265/35/18 size, i appricate that this may be pedantic but everyone has a general idea of what they'd normally go for, or would want on those sized wheels.

The options are in a rough price order, but dont let this influence the decision... thanks.

I've stuck with Goodyear Eagles F1 for ages. I've toyed with Toyo, but went back to Goodyear. I'm not an aggressive driver, but then again I've had my moments. I have total faith in F1, within the confines of my driving style and ability. I've had a couple of wobbly bits in heavy surface water when the treads have been very low, but I've never spun on a roundabout at 20 mph either.

For a diverse and enthusiastic raneg of road use, I have the Michelin Pilot Sport 2 fitted to the Supra and the 996T. I also rate the Goodyear F1 asymetric very highly but prefer the reduced road noise from the Michelin. The Continental Sport Contact 2 are great, don't have the outright grip of the F1 or Pilots but they are a very sublime and communicative tyre. I am trying the Contact 3 on the 996T next time round if they are available.

I used F1's when I first got the N/A Supra as that seemed to be the most recommended tyre on this forum.

I found them pretty good in the dry, but the slightest hint of moisture and they would slide all over the shop. I couldn't pull out of a side road without sliding, even with minute amounts of throttle.

As soon as I changed to the T1R's, the difference was incredible - you really had to give it a bootful of throttle to get a slide out of them.

Ibrar has recommended me to go for Bridgestone RE050As, i know Ernie likes these as well, anyone else had any experience with them?

Not on a Supra but on my Volvo the RE050A were below par compared to the Continentals, Goodyear and Michelin.

The Bridgestone's tend to be very car specific as to which cars they work well on. They generally have the stiffest sidewalls in the business which can make the ride a bit more uncomfortable, I found the road nosie to be quite high for a premium tyre even for the RE050A's tread pattern. The performance was acceptable all round, no dramas but at no point did they excel like the Goodyear F1 or Michelin Pilot Sport or have the sublime ride and feedback of the Continental's.

I used F1's when I first got the N/A Supra as that seemed to be the most recommended tyre on this forum.

I found them pretty good in the dry, but the slightest hint of moisture and they would slide all over the shop. I couldn't pull out of a side road without sliding, even with minute amounts of throttle.

I've read similar, several times...I've never had this problem with well scrubbed in F1s.

Which is a bit of a snag in a thread like this, for any who want others recommendations on a particular tyre.

hi guys, what tyres would you advise for a set of 18s on a TT?

i drive very often in wet conditions, ca hardly give any throttle in the wet, just seems to slide out too much!!

cheers

Id recommend getting a geo setup done first off, that dont sound right.

Is there any reason why you wouldnt have the same tyre on the front as you do the back?

:) Me ? no. Someone with a rather more finely tuned driving skill and area of use than I, possibly. Interesting thread potentially, unless the massive statistical error between affordable price and knowledgeable expertise and experience isn't adequately expressed by a poll alone.

Edited by Ewen (see edit history)

I have a set of half worn F1's on the rears and they are nice on dry, i still manage to get a bit of spin when 2nd turbo kicks in and i'm just running 1bar at the moment, i don't know if that is normal! (255/40/17) :rolleyes:

my next try will be 265/40/17 T1R's.