The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Detailing Products

SupraGirlie

Just interested to know which products everyone uses to clean their Supra, besides the usual AG and Megs available in Halfords, I mean Dodo Juice, CG etc, there are so many products out there, I just don't know where to start. I have read that the Supra has very soft paint work, and not everything is suitable. I am not talking about £300 a tub of wax sort of stuff though! My car has loads of swirl marks and light scratches which I'd really like to get rid of, or am I best off getting a pro to do the paint correction?

I have had a look on DW, registered earlier, however it still won't let me post. I had a quick browse, but again everyone uses something different, I don't know what to buy!

So far on the list:

Karcher pressure washer with a HD lance (no idea which one yet) and snow foam

Dodo Juice - Born to be mild Shampoo

100% Sheepskin mitt

Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish

Finish Kare #2685

Edited by SupraGirlie (see edit history)

Ive used a few wax's on my black supra and the best ive used is Finish Kare 2685, i buy it from here, its cheap/easy to use and gives a great wet look shine.

http://www.seriousperformance.co.uk/Products,51,toView_403,4.html

That's a good price for what seems like a decent product, I'll add it to the list :) In fact it's very similar to this that I was going to buy, but less than half the price!

If you want the light scratches/swirls gone and done properly then get a pro to do it, after that it's just maintanence, I'm not going to lie as there's so much BS is detailing it's unreal, so many products to choose from and the new latest product that there's hype about etc

I've used some pretty expensive waxes on cars, the £2k tub types and are they worth it? nope!, the only reason the customer goes for that option is to say "I have a £2k wax on my car" we always get asked if they are that much better, and we tell them that although they are good they're not significantly better than a tub of dodo juice etc but they generally go for that extra option anyway

I'd say almost every Supra i've done has had soft paint, and tbh it's pita when they are soft and black! my mkiii is a total nightmare, the paint is so soft I can put finger print marks in it, anyway I can recommened the blackfire sealant, it's great, so easy to use and its lasts a long time too, you could also look at some polishes that fil swirl marks, autoglym SRP is pretty good for that and can be applied by hand :) which I think is fine for the hobbyist detailer :) but you do need to get your wash stage prety good if you want to prevent further swirling/scratching in your paint.

A decent wash mitt, 2 buckets, grit gaurds in each and if you have a power washer that can have a snow foam lance that really does help, then some dyring towels and a ton of mf cloths is a good start, along with brushes for trim cleaning and types for the back of your wheels and arches etc :)

At the end of the day it's all down to prep, a well prepped car will look much better applied with almost any product than a poorly prepped car with the most expensive on it :)

Paint correction though really is best left to a pro(a highly regarded one) as you don't want some newb putting a ton more marks in your paint or leaving buffer trails and holograms all over the place :)

Edited by Tom (see edit history)

If you want the light scratches/swirls gone and done properly then get a pro to do it, after that it's just maintanence, I'm not going to lie as there's so much BS is detailing it's unreal, so many products to choose from and the new latest product that there's hype about etc

I've used some pretty expensive waxes on cars, the £2k tub types and are they worth it? nope!, the only reason the customer goes for that option is to say "I have a £2k wax on my car" we always get asked if they are that much better, and we tell them that although they are good they're not significantly better than a tub of dodo juice etc but they generally go for that extra option anyway

I'd say almost every Supra i've done has had soft paint, and tbh it's pita when they are soft and black! my mkiii is a total nightmare, the paint is so soft I can put finger print marks in it, anyway I can recommened the blackfire sealant, it's great, so easy to use and its lasts a long time too, you could also look at some polishes that fil swirl marks, autoglym SRP is pretty good for that and can be applied by hand :) which I think is fine for the hobbyist detailer :) but you do need to get your wash stage prety good if you want to prevent further swirling/scratching in your paint.

A decent wash mitt, 2 buckets, grit gaurds in each and if you have a power washer that can have a snow foam lance that really does help, then some dyring towels and a ton of mf cloths is a good start, along with brushes for trim cleaning and types for the back of your wheels and arches etc :)

At the end of the day it's all down to prep, a well prepped car will look much better applied with almost any product than a poorly prepped car with the most expensive on it :)

Paint correction though really is best left to a pro(a highly regarded one) as you don't want some newb putting a ton more marks in your paint or leaving buffer trails and holograms all over the place :)

Thank you for this responce, very useful. Just been doing some serious reading on Detailing World, there is so much information on there and it's amazing looking at the threads in the 'Showroom' section. You mention a 2k wax, I found one there for 6k (only two ever made) :D

I have given 'Affection to Detail' a call, as well as 'Envy Valeting' and 'The Shine Experience' which all cover my area, I have been quoted around £475 by one of them for 2 - 3 full days of paint correction which seems pretty good. I know you do detailing, but do you cover Sussex, or would I have to come to you?

I am compiling a list of what I need, the first thing is a pressure washer, any recommendations for one around £100? (excluding the lance) I'll get ordering some of these products too :)

I work for Auto Finesse, on DW too ;) yeah I think James and I would come out to you but i'll check with him first if you want? can get him to give you a quote too but I don't think it'll be much different from what you've been quoted already :) if we can't come out then i'm sure he'll recommend someone for you :)

I work for Auto Finesse, on DW too ;) yeah I think James and I would come out to you but i'll check with him first if you want? can get him to give you a quote too but I don't think it'll be much different from what you've been quoted already :) if we can't come out then i'm sure he'll recommend someone for you :)

That's ok as I'm not trying necessarily to get a cheaper quote, as I already have been quoted £300 for 8 - 12 hours of paint correction from Race Valeting, I just want the best job possible done, so I have disregarded the £300 one as I'd rather pay an extra £175 for another 12 hours work!! I'll PM you any way :)