The mkiv Supra Owners Club

polished/chromed ?

brettjones

Chrome will be alot easier to keep clean, ie no need to apply metal polish, which can be a nightmare and usually ends up in a cut or two :D

The downside to chrome is that it keeps the heat locked in, so everything gets so much hotter.

• 1 month later...
Guest Rays the roof
how about powder coating? does that keep the heat in if its shiney?

Yes as we are talking about radiant heat and conducted heat.

Radiant heat is reflected back by the shiney metal surface (eg a gas fire usually has a silver backing plate).

Conducted heat passes through solid/liquid surfaces should be better if chromed (compared to a dirty stock pipe) as dirt insulates the pipe, but powder coating will also insulate.

I would guess we are talking very small changes in temp though - IMO!

Guest Rays the roof
My intake temps went up once everything was chromed/shiney, a bit of a downside to a bling bay

:( - I'm not your friend now!! LOL

Seriously, with no mods, just polished and chromed? By how much and what did you have done?

Guest Rays the roof

One question matey - was the water inlet pipe to the radiator already metal or was the rubber/plastic one replaced? Surely this is the main area where water temp can be effected by polishing or replacing plastic with metal. Or am I talking testicles....:blink:

Or was your intake temp increase just air temp?

One question matey - was the water inlet pipe to the radiator already metal or was the rubber/plastic one replaced? Surely this is the main area where water temp can be effected by polishing or replacing plastic with metal. Or am I talking testicles....:blink:

Or was your intake temp increase just air temp?

I just had the metal one chromed, the air temps went up, the whole bay was hotter with the bling, a few things I learnt during this single build that I would change

1. Keep the stock fan, its more efficient

2. Dont chrome/polish if you are on a quest for big BHP, the two dont really go together

3. use a lot of heat shield (it is included in the pic you see) it protects damage to cables/pipes

4. Chrome if you are going for bling, polished takes FAR TO MUCH LOOKING AFTER !!