The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra wanted can you help me??

Guest Big Mac

£2,500 is a low budget but not impossible I suppose but you will have to take what comes up and you can't be fussy at that price.

If you have a look on autotrader.co.uk (select 'toyota' and then 'supra') there are a few that just may be within grasp. There is one MK4 advertised for £2,095 and then the rest are £2,995+

There are usually a few in the for sale section, but you need to be a paid up member to buy or sell on this forum so it might be an idea to join up to get that benefit.

But then he'll only have £2490 to spend on a Supra ;)

When I say good, I mean one that works, has been relatively cared for and has some history.

Even a rough stock Supra is more reliable than a lot of new European crapboxes that have been released in the last 5-10 years.

Really? I think in the same hands a modern German car will withstand more abuse than a Supra over say a 10 year lifespan.

Not so sure Gaz. Certainly from recent experience VWs/Audis I have come in contact with have big issues with failing sensors, fans and various other niggles.

They just dont seem to have the strength of a Supra/90s Toyota.

Not so sure Gaz. Certainly from recent experience VWs/Audis I have come in contact with have big issues with failing sensors, fans and various other niggles.

They just dont seem to have the strength of a Supra/90s Toyota.

An interesting point of view. I guess I have heard of a few sensors failing on VAG cars, but generally they are fairly bulletproof in my experience. Much more so than a Japanese car of the same age. Still, our Supras are quite a bit older than the cars I've had experience with, so maybe you're right :)

Long live the Supra!

Basically if its VAG (maybe BMW too?) from 99 onwards if something is plastic related to the engine, then it will break or fail :(

The only thing that has failed on my nearly 17 year old car with 140k miles is the odd perished rubber hose. I consider that incredible build quality IMO. My car is also used every day.

Basically if its VAG (maybe BMW too?) from 99 onwards if something is plastic related to the engine, then it will break or fail :(

The only thing that has failed on my nearly 17 year old car with 140k miles is the odd perished rubber hose. I consider that incredible build quality IMO. My car is also used every day.

Fair point. I'd love to see a German vs Japanese reliability test now, just to see what the deal really is...

Gaz dont let the current UK's lower middle class obsession with Audis cloud your vision on what build quality actually is :)

Believe me mate, I'm a little more up to speed than that :)

Fact is, I have to write about common misconceptions all the time in the automotive trade. I do however make sure they're true before I do.

I also drive a VW Golf R32, so know all about VAG build quality... it's an interesting comparison.

I've always had a range of German and Japanese performance cars since I started driving 13 years ago.

German cars are well screwed together but they are not mechanically as robust as the Japanese cars. I've had a M5 purchased as an approved used BMW car with 15K on the clock, its was trouble some (BMW gave up and threw a new engine in). Other BMWs I have had also loved to be driven hard but couldn't take it over prolonged periods. Always had minor things failing or in need of fixing. Merc's have been good and are very reliable, far superior to BMW. However the Porsche 996T is a gem of a quality car, very well designed and built, externally and internally.

All the Japanese cars I have had, I have never once worried about anything failing or having issues yet these have covered far higher mileages, usually at high speed in comparison to the german cars I've had.