The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What Brakes?

a98pmalcolm

hay guys im gettingmy brakes done at the end of the month.

Im after drilled and grooved front and rear, also getting my brake hoses done aswell to reduce spunge lol.

But JPS motor sport are saying to go EBC

Whifbitz say not to

But both companys know what there talking about...

Basicly im seing what poeple advise are the best kinda disks and pads.

I have a 1993 Manual Twin Turbo Jap Spec

Cheaper the better but i dont want rubbish lol, i noticed there loads of deals with F&R disks for like £200 which is alot cheaper than the £400 EBC option.

So what do u guys think? Any links for good sites? and prices?

Looking forward to ya replys

Thanks

Paul

Dont do it if you want to go 'cheaper the better' just refit OEM Toyota 'UK' brakes.

This is a good option if you have a budget of around £500 to spend.

If not then go OEM brake discs with Chris Wilson pads, when I research the forum found this to be the most liked setup

(unless you were looking at bigger brake setup).

Most drilled discs crack after a while, due to the temp going hot and cold causing the metal to crack because the holes weaken the disc (bit like drilling holes into a board, will make it more weak).

If you are using the smaller brakes then stock is the best by a long way.

EBC are utter rubish. You don't need drilled or slotted discs for a road going car. Those types of disc on the smaller brake setup are for serious track day cars only where you're looking to replace them after a couple of track days use. They are not suitable for road usage.

paul is running small calipers on bpu plus now..

so i think his best bet is to go big uk brakes ???

Waste of money unless it's a track car or drives like an absolute lunatic, even then the jspecs are fine with good new discs and suitbale pads and fresh fluid. A decent jspec setup with grippy tyre's will easily kick the ABS in at 70mph ;)

Check the disc runout, change the pads to some decent ones and flush the system with some race spec DOT 4, it will make all the difference. Oh and some fresh decent quality tyre's - they are the life saver.

thanks guys.....yer Paul at Whifbitz and JPS said standard disks are fine. But i was thinking the grooved ones for looks TBH...And im a pretty careful driver, except i when i take a mate i havent taken out b4 lol.

Fuck me, you are going to choose one of the most important parts of your car on "looks" rather than competance :blink:

You sir, are insane. Lets just hope your brake discs looks good when you are being scooped out of your car :rolleyes: Hope it was worth it.

Fuck me, you are going to choose one of the most important parts of your car on "looks" rather than competance :blink:

You sir, are insane. Lets just hope your brake discs looks good when you are being scooped out of your car :rolleyes: Hope it was worth it.

Bit harsh Eh? I doubt changing from plain to grooved discs will result in massive brake failure and death on a road car:

homer thats y i started this thread to get the advise im after! I only said that about the looks as thats the reason y i said about grooved in the start of the thread, i didnt know wither they would perform aswell as std disks!

i didnt say the looks were most important either, i said "But i was thinking the grooved ones for looks TBH" so people replying know y i jumped straight to that idea!

Im still new to the supra scene and its all a learing curve.

Brakes are important so i gotta ask and get peoples thoughts!

Thats what these forums are all about?

Edited by a98pmalcolm (see edit history)

Waste of money unless it's a track car or drives like an absolute lunatic, even then the jspecs are fine with good new discs and suitbale pads and fresh fluid. A decent jspec setup with grippy tyre's will easily kick the ABS in at 70mph ;)

Check the disc runout, change the pads to some decent ones and flush the system with some race spec DOT 4, it will make all the difference. Oh and some fresh decent quality tyre's - they are the life saver.

How is upgrading to UK's a waste of money unless he's tracking it? I had jspec's and I agree they are not as bad as everyone says aslong as they have decent pads, but they sure as hell weren't even close to my LS400 setup and the UK's are probably the same as those give or take. If they increase braking performance that can only be a good thing, its not like he's dropping 2.5k on brembo's.

homer thats y i started this thread to get the advise im after! I only said that about the looks as i didnt know wither they would perform aswell as std disks! i didnt say the looks were most important just thats y i mentioned groved and drilled when i started this thead mate.

If you use a high quality rotor like powerslot, ebc, or dba, drilled and slotted rotors are fine for a street car and liven up the looks without compromising braking or safety at all, I use Power slot cryo treated d/s rotors on the skyline with axxis ultimate ceramic pads, 3 years now 30 odd laps of the ring a few laps on the Hockenheim ring where I got the brakes so hot the front left Kevlar pad caught fire,(hence the change to AXXIS) and not a crack to be seen. I did have a small fender bender last winter due to a BMW cutting me off, since all 4 tires locked, I don't blame the discs

How is upgrading to UK's a waste of money unless he's tracking it? I had jspec's and I agree they are not as bad as everyone says aslong as they have decent pads, but they sure as hell weren't even close to my LS400 setup and the UK's are probably the same as those give or take. If they increase braking performance that can only be a good thing, its not like he's dropping 2.5k on brembo's.

What I'm trying to get at is that for any reasonable road use the jspec brakes are absolutely fine. With decent pads and discs they will easily lock up at 60mph, about the same as the UK brakes. As you will know well once they lock, there's no point having more bite as they are already at their maximum braking effort.

It's only when it comes to trying a hard brake again, before the discs and pads have cooled a litle, that the jspec discs show their weakness. I.e track days. That said, the ones on my last car could do 5 laps of the Gp curcuit at Bedford before fade set in, that's 25 miles of very fast track and heavy braking.

For any reasonable road useage the UK brakes will only offer a marginal benefit when braking from 60mph-90mph, though that will be exponential once speeds increase.

It's all about reasonable road usage. I.e if you never need to hit the anchors HARD at more than 90 or so mph there's little to no point in UK brakes, if you drive at 100+ mph regularly then yes, a brake upgrade is a good idea. Changing to UK's is what £1.2k? It's still a fair amount of money to spent. Just want to make sure people don't spank their money on unecessary changes.

You may find that slotted or drilled discs are annoyingly noisy. They will certainly wear pads out faster, too. But if you are happy to compromise, and also realise that many grooved or drilled discs are machined badly on dubious Taiwanese castings, then they are unlikely to bring to an early meeting with your maker in normal road usage. If ultimate performance, with minimal pad noise and wear is your aim you won't beat OE plain discs, unless you spend a fortune on high end race discs on separate bells.