The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Car is misfiring

ADL Mark

First time in two weeks I've been able to drive the car as have had no money whatsoever for petrol and she seems to have developed a misfire from just sitting there :(

Somebody kindly lent me 20 quid so I thought I'd go for a blast, put some petrol in, went to put some air in the tyres (bloody Tesco have started charging 20p for air :rolleyes: ) and then once sheit was nice and warm took it up my favourite road to let rip.

Pulling hard through 2nd, as I changed up to 3rd I thought the rev limiter had cut in early which was strange, then as soon as I got back on the gas in 3rd she started misfiring really badly :(

I put some second hand coil packs in a couple of months ago from a member on here who had written his car off, as mine had a slight misfire when cold. These were fine for a while and then started doing the same, now this.

I did notice that even the second hand coils had cracks in the corners by the bolt holes like the originals and wondered if they'd be ok, but now not so sure.

To top it off, there was a small cloud of smoke when I started her so I think the valve stem oil seals are going too. She is on 126k so expected soon I suppose..

I've had some misfire issues as of late and its been a cobination of mainly disintegrated coil pack connectors (cheap enough from Toyota dealers or Garagewhifbitz) and also 1 of my coils went down. As Bignum says it will be coil pack connector or the packs itself.

I just replaced the entire lot, costing me around £620 for 6 coils and 12 coil pack connectors (bought a few extra incase some broke/got damaged during installation).

I doubt it will be the plugs as they've done only a few hundred miles, I replaced them when I put the other coil packs on.

I already have the connectors, I've had them since I bought the car three years ago, just never put them on. They all look fine, as I checked them over, but I'm wondering if you can actually see it on them when they break down?

Well I had to use the car for quite a long trip, so wiggled the wires a bit and made sure all was on there ok before I went and she behaved quite well. Not perfect but no noticeable misfiring.

One of the clips on one of the coil plugs is very loose so not holding well and they're generally a bit sloppy so I'm hoping it's just that. I've got a spare set somewhere, just got to find the 'safe place' I put them in! :blink: