The mkiv Supra Owners Club

pillow ball top mounts

fruity_south

the top mounts on my TOMs suspension are looking a bit worn. i was thinking about replacing them with some adjustable pillow ball top mounts. it is possible isn't it, i'm not being stupid am i by thinking it can be replaced am i?

Are the top mounts you have std or did they come with the suspension setup?

Is there a particular reason you want to change to adjustable top mounts? and if you don't already have spherical bearing mount (pillwball) also misleading because if you change from std (rubber) top mounts, you will find it will give a harsher feel.

the top mounts came with the suspension, and the rubbers on them have seen better days reason i thought of going for pillow ball top mounts was that it was far far easyer getting them then it is getting the rubber top mounts replacements for TOM's suspension, plus then it could also give me the possibility to have a slight camber on the wheels

the top mounts came with the suspension, and the rubbers on them have seen better days reason i thought of going for pillow ball top mounts was that it was far far easyer getting them then it is getting the rubber top mounts replacements for TOM's suspension, plus then it could also give me the possibility to have a slight camber on the wheels

the susspension is totally independant of camber on a supra, as it not a mcpherson susspension setup

Have you checked? they may be std ones so easy to replace, and unless you want to take up serious drifting or track, then adding more camber won't hep the handling.

An as i said you will notice the loss of ride quality.

I've had adjustable pillow ball mounts in the past. They clicked when you went over small bumps in the road. I was told this was a characteristic of pillow ball mounts.

Just so you know.

It's only a characteristic of ones with worn (usually cheap) spherical bearings. Replace with something like Goldline or NMB Aerospace quality linered bearings and they outlast the car and have no lateral or vertical free play, and hence no clicking or knocking, although by their very nature they'll be harsher than a damped rubber top mount. Their only advantage is they make damper movement more directly linked to wheel movement, although on the bottom of the dampers there's still a squidgy rubber bush. Race dampers have no complaince in their top or bottome mounts.

yeah iv checked the suspension, and its all colour coded and labeled as TOM's. i was looking a the tiien ones (if thats spelt right) i just dont really want to have to change all the suspension and just change the top mounts from the normal TOM's ones to Pillow Balls. im not all that bothered about how the ride will feel as it only comes out at weekends now anyway. im getting a nocking sound as it is from the rubbers being so worn.