The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Ideas?

Guest Infernal

Guest Infernal

Hi all,

I'm trying to keep my posts to a minimum here! I've been reading around for ages before i become a member (no supe yet) and just need to ask you guys a question!

Heres the choices I've seen:

Standard 1998 VVTi with 25k miles plus OEM Spats and splitter

OR

UK Spec 1993 standard 93k miles in white 1 owner (old guy)

both from traders/dealers

thing is, VVTi is £9500 and UK is £10000

BUT I'm only 21, the diff from my insurance now to the UK adds £200, which I can afford, the Imported VVTi adds about £1400

What would you go for?

Thanks,

Russ.

The guy selling the uk car has sold a few in the past and is afaik a fairly good/ok trader (does lots of MR2's and has a good rep there too again afaik)

The uk manual will hold its value and in your position (especially re insurance) if its clean and all seems ok with it I would get that of the two.

I think the 25K vvti has been discussed here before and there were some oddities about it from memory.

I ended up buying a UK car for the exact same reason Russ, and had to pay top whack for it. The milage isn't too much of an issue, but if I were you, I'd want to check the underside of the UK car before buying it as it would have seen quite a few UK winters.

Guest Infernal
i would shop arround more on the insurance. The price difference between an import and a uk car should not be £1200! try sky and adrian flux.

Ive got until about december left on my current insurance so need to stick with them for my NCD really, last time I rang sky they wouldnt even entertain me unfortunately, and Flux wer'nt as competitive as i'd hoped, I'm hoping to just get a bit of supe experience under my belt before going for one of the other brokers and hopefully getting it cheaper. Sky is most likely to be my first point of call after that.

If you're referring to this ad, which I'm guessing you are, then the advert states 83K miles :)

Whoops, yes, you're right! thats the advert im looking at. I've text the guy asking if he can let me know when it's in stock, I'm wondering what he'll think when i turn up only being young. Have any of you guys had any problems?

The guy selling the uk car has sold a few in the past and is afaik a fairly good/ok trader (does lots of MR2's and has a good rep there too again afaik)

The uk manual will hold its value and in your position (especially re insurance) if its clean and all seems ok with it I would get that of the two.

I think the 25K vvti has been discussed here before and there were some oddities about it from memory.

Thanks for the heads up, I am a bit skeptical about it to be honest, the new aftermarket seats seem a little dodgy to me, they would be the first thing you'd change on a clocked car I'd imagine. new-ish OEM alloys can be purchased fairly readily i guess too, just to make it look younger. given that people would generally replace their OEMs with aftermarket

...Not to hi-Jack my own thread, But I was wondering.

On a semi-classic car which started life at 320+ bhp can I be expecting it to be around 300 now?

and for the BPU - Is there anyone about that keeps a cat in for MOT reasons permanently?

what I'd be hoping to do would be the following (unless most of you guys dis-approve)

- 3 Inch system most of the way through (apart from a cat) If thats possible or doesent restrict BHP too much

- Quiet backbox at hopefully about 90-100 DB

- some sort of boost controller (any ideas based on a decent make low-ish price? something mid-range)

- fuel cut defender (ive heard these are a neccessity

- iridium plugs (6 :D beats my current lame 4 :p)

- BOV maybe, though generally considered quite chavvy I do like the sound of them!

does this sound reasonable to you?

Russ, do you definately want a manual?

Apart from the fact that a stock car has never had the boost increased (kinda working on a fresh canvas), you might find it cheaper and easier to find a car that is already been made 'bpu'. Just make sure it's been done properly.

Guest Infernal

I'm 99% sure on the manual yeah, the only other thing i'd really consider is tiptronic. I do like being in control of gears. Why do you ask? Is there something im missing?

Thanks.

i also purchased a uk 6sp purley as i do trackdays and like drivng the car to its max, i also looked a triptronic but the only problem it is still use's the 4 speed auto box so its a bit slow in changing when you want it to.

Uk cars will always hold good money if looked after, where as imports are cheap and getting cheaper by the month.

If you decided to purchase a UK car then you must exspect to spend another £2000 on suspention - clutch (if going bpu) - new rad - aircon rad - intercooler - change all the oils gearbox - diff - engine - brake fluid - powersteering fluid.

But once done it will feel like a brand new car.

I'm 99% sure on the manual yeah, the only other thing i'd really consider is tiptronic. I do like being in control of gears. Why do you ask? Is there something im missing?

Thanks.

Not at all. You usually find that UK auto's come up for sale more often than manuals and aren't priced as highly.

I'm wondering what he'll think when i turn up only being young. Have any of you guys had any problems?

I was only 20 and looked about 17 when I got mine and the guy didn't even ask for a driving license for me to take it on a test drive with one of his employees:D