The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Can TOyota Read VVTI Error Codes?

JODY T

yeah i did but they are all along way away from me.. I know i can drive the car but its a brand new rebuilt engine.. I dont know if ill damage it by driving the few hunderd miles to get it looked at.. cos i dont know whats wrong with it lol..

Bloody Toyotas only like 20 miles away.. Ide risk that.. just

If I had fitted a vvti engine into a SZ-R Supra I wouldn't be 100% confident of reading fault codes accurately until I confirmed that the engine installation with associated parts was proved to be perfect first.

I'm not saying that it hasn't been installed properly but that's where I would suspect the problem would lie.

Also, fault codes can be misleading too as I don't think they distinguish between a faulty component and a simple bad connection which I had on my car.

Edited by merckx (see edit history)

Im as sure as i can be that it is fitted correctly.. I havent changed the car loom as i have found another guy in australia that has done the exact same conversion and his car works fine.. Ive replaced the ecu and the light stays on.. Ive had most of the engine apart ie all sensors removed etc for painting.. Im as sure as i can be that it is still correct although i havent got a VVTI car to reference against as there are none around me that i know of..

I know the traction control isnt wired, but neither was the guys over in australia. So how can it be that..

PITA

There are certain models of Carman Scan scanners that will read VVTi codes, given the correct adaptor loom. They aren't cheap though. It's the only one i have found to work 100%. I still hurt from the cost, given how little it gets used, it'll pay for itself in about 2080 :( This works with a software update, SOME Carman Scan Lites work, some don't:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CARMAN-SCAN-VG-PREMIUM-TOOL-FANTASTIC-ON-JAPANESE-CARS_W0QQitemZ280274795061QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment?hash=item4141adfa35&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1689|293%3A1|294%3A50

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)