The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Retrim of stripped interior

jevansio

Its a fine balance between losing weight & having a fully stripped track car. I've probably gone farther than most by dropping the stereo & AC (and heater matrix soon), but I still wanted the car to look like a road car from inside & out.

Today I started the interior update. The car has had the rear seats removed & interior stripped, but I wanted to bring back an OEM feel in the rear. The Porsche GT2 has always been my inspirartion for the perfect road car so I got myself some interior carpet material and set about creating that look in the Supra.

I decided to use some OEM fixtures to hold the carpet in place. So I unbolted the braces just behind the seats. I will be refitting the rear quarter interior panels as the couple of kilos they weigh is nothing compared to the nice feel they give the interior (looking at the inner workings of the seat belts doesn't give a road car feel)

I also decided to do it in a number of pieces, the first running from behind the seats to the rear crosss brace.

I removed the cross brace so I could use that to hold the carpet.

attachment.php?attachmentid=95652&stc=1&d=1247415908

attachment.php?attachmentid=95653&stc=1&d=1247415908

This shot shows what you see when you currently look into the car from the boot.

attachment.php?attachmentid=95654&stc=1&d=1247415908

Here is the material I found (I think it's commonly used to cover subwoofer installs in cars), it matches the facelift black carpet perfectly.

attachment.php?attachmentid=95655&stc=1&d=1247415908

attachment.php?attachmentid=95656&stc=1&d=1247415908

I cut it roughly to shape, the put it in the car. I made a hole so I could put the central rear harness eyelet in which would hold it roughly in place while I tweaked the edges.

attachment.php?attachmentid=95657&stc=1&d=1247415908

A shot from the boot to give an idea.

attachment.php?attachmentid=95658&stc=1&d=1247415908

And one from over the drivers shoulder.

attachment.php?attachmentid=95659&stc=1&d=1247415908

Couple more.

attachment.php?attachmentid=95660&stc=1&d=1247415908

attachment.php?attachmentid=95661&stc=1&d=1247415908

Couple more with the rear brace placed over.

attachment.php?attachmentid=95662&stc=1&d=1247415908

attachment.php?attachmentid=95663&stc=1&d=1247415908

I still need to push it into shape and bolts stuff down but already it feels a lot more road car like inside and should help muffle some road noise. It's also very light so hasn't added anything to the car :)

IMG_3956.jpg

IMG_3957.jpg

IMG_3958.jpg

IMG_3959.jpg

IMG_3960.jpg

IMG_3961.jpg

IMG_3962.jpg

IMG_3963.jpg

IMG_3964.jpg

IMG_3965.jpg

IMG_3966.jpg

IMG_3968.jpg

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

WOW looks great !!

Does not have the bare metal look...made me think i should do that to mine...

Good job :thumbs:

Cheers bud :thumbs:

Looks great mate, now ive sold off my interior im really in two minds what way to go with mine.

Cheers Jamie I'm all for weigh saving, but a kilo of material really does restore some sense of normalness inside the cabin

i dont understand why you would want to remove the heater matrix and aircon then? :shrug: is it all down to weight saving?

Yip, car is never used over winter, I never use AC (prefer the windows), so far I have probably lost over 150kg of weight, in a 600bhp car that equates roughly to another 75bhp to retain the same power to weight as a full fat car, not only that the car handles & brakes better. You could look at each individual item and say "yeah keep that it only weighs xxkg", but you have to make these sacrifies to shed 150kg and I don't mind losing stuff I don't use

which makes sence, whats the point in having it if you dont use it. Weight saving has always bin up in the air for me, i wouldnt mind losing the rear seats, adding some lighter seats, lighter alloys and brakes etc but stuff like the A/C and radio id have to keep but congrats to you man! lightening these fat ladies is a tough thing to do! :thumbs:

which makes sence, whats the point in having it if you dont use it. Weight saving has always bin up in the air for me, i wouldnt mind losing the rear seats, adding some lighter seats, lighter alloys and brakes etc but stuff like the A/C and radio id have to keep but congrats to you man! lightening these fat ladies is a tough thing to do! :thumbs:

:D, TBH the radio is pretty much redundant when you've got a 4" exhaust :D

Yip, car is never used over winter, I never use AC (prefer the windows), so far I have probably lost over 150kg of weight, in a 600bhp car that equates roughly to another 75bhp to retain the same power to weight as a full fat car, not only that the car handles & brakes better. You could look at each individual item and say "yeah keep that it only weighs xxkg", but you have to make these sacrifies to shed 150kg and I don't mind losing stuff I don't use

i admire that type of thinking, one day one day:D

i wonder what wieght i could save of the cl600, i reckon about a ton of luxury bits:eyebrows:

Well done sir, I like to see people strip Supes back to the bare minimum!

That's a nice re-trim in the back.

As already mentioned about the harness strap though... you can use the original rear seatbelt mounts for the top straps - cross them over as well. That will be less 'spine compression' in the event of needing the harnesses :)

Well done sir, I like to see people strip Supes back to the bare minimum!

That's a nice re-trim in the back.

As already mentioned about the harness strap though... you can use the original rear seatbelt mounts for the top straps - cross them over as well. That will be less 'spine compression' in the event of needing the harnesses :)

Cheers Steve,

Just been thinking about the straps, I guess if they are too low down in a crash they could break you collar bone?

What do you mean coss them over? What other options do I have without fitting a full cage? Is it OK to wrap them around the rear cross brace?