The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Engine temperature sensor

Guest Douglas

Guest Douglas

Hi,I'm a new member from Canada. I own an 86 with only 133,000 miles on the clock, the car came from California so was never driven in snow.

I have three items I'd like to fix:

1. The engine temperature guage is part of the time ok, but as I drive it will flick up to the top or overheat position, then may or may not revert to the correct engine temp. Sounds to me like a loose electrical connection. When I looked it up in the Haynes manual it seems the sensor is difficult to get to in order to check it or replace. Any suggestions appreciated.

2) Someone broke off my radio antenna, leaving only the lower section about 9 inches high. I don't use the electrical rise-and-lowerer, don't need it, but I do need better reception, stronger signal. I can find an old antenna and stick it into the current one, but do I have to do anything with the insulated white wire which dangles inside? Also I note that it volume (signal) is better if I am holding the antenna in my hand.

3) I now use the car in snow and I find the rear end is light and tends to swing out on ice. I now carry 300 pounds of sandbags in the trunk in winter. Is this the best idea, should I add more sandbags, or just drive carefully in snow?

PS: I love the car for reliability, power mode, economy, handling, trouble-free. I also own a Porsche 944, 1985, which is more handsome, but the Supra beats the Porsche every time for dependability and ease of operation!

Douglas