The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tyre FAQ ?

Sharpie

One for the mods maybe...

It seems we have many many threads about what tyre is recommended and I think it wouldn't be too much work to put a single thread together showing what has been proven to work well with the Supra.

Maybe have three sections to the thread: TT, NA or Single

Then 3 sub-sections: Premium Road, Value & To avoid.

TT

Preimuim Road Tyre (£100+)

Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric

Bridgestone Potenza RE050A

Toyo TR1's

Dunlop SP9000

etc...

Value Road Tyre (

Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta

Falkens 45x

Kumho xx

etc..

To Avoid

Hankook

Nankang

etc...

Then after you have covered the TT, NA and Single categories you could have a single area for Track ONLY tyres:

TRACK & Competition DOT tyres

Toyo R888

Yokohama A048R

Michelin Pilot Sport Cups

Pirelli P-Zero Corsa

Avon ZZR

Dunlop Direzza DZ02

etc...

I guess along the same lines as the Oil FAQ.

What do you think ?

Once you have the 4 categories done, is there any way to have a review section for each tyre ? maybe hyperlink the make/model shown on the thread Tyre choice is not black and white so, it's always good to hear how the tyres handle in different conditions and situation. Driven hard on country roads / 80mph down the M1 for 4+hrs / Road noise / Wear rate etc......but, ONLY when used on the Supra.

I think this could be the definitive repository for tyre information.

NOTE: The makes and models of the tyres listed above are just an example ;)

Great idea.

Two points: firstly, the R888 along with others in the list aren't track only, they're road legal. Also, what about a mixture of tyres? I.E. I've got Eagle GSD3 on the front and R888 at the rear, which I find works well. It's worth taking note of the sizes of the rubber too.

Why would NA/TT/Single make a difference as to the amount of grip the tyre offers when fitted to a Supra?

I know what the answer will be, but it's wrong. ;)

Good idea though, gets my backing. Sizes will be important as stated above. it'll be difficult to differentiate between opinion and fact, and align different people's barometers - e.g. I read a thread recently where somone said moving up to 20" wheels had given the car more grip... ffs! :rolleyes:

Edited by SteveR (see edit history)

Good idea, maybe include some of the best places to buy tyres from aswell eg Camskill etc :)

Yeah they are good and so are event tyres!

I used their mobile fitting service an they came straight to my house and fitted them there and then all i had to do was move it off the drive :)