The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Regretable Purchase

Guest mister2gts

Guest mister2gts

Despite Sage advice from someone on theis forum I bought an Rx8 instead of a Supra, and i'm finding it difficult to live with the terrible MPG, and the long list of potential problems that accompany the wankel engine

I've always wanted a supra and was has come up for sale locally, right money, right miles.

2 questions:

1) most of the time it is just me in the car, but occasionally it's me, bird, and 10yr old daughter. I know leg room isn't great, but is it passable and how far forward does the from passenger have to be to fit a 10yr old in the rear seats (a picture would help my cause if poss?)

2) I'm looking at a 93/94 NA manual. Is the model designation for this MA80?

Anyway the Rx8 is up for sale so it's new car time - supra or not!

1) I would say it's OK for a 10 year old. Not great for long car journeys though. I can get some photos if you can wait a couple of days. Remind me if I forget! :)

2) The NA mkIV supra has the designation "2JZ-GE". The twin turbo mkIV is "2JZ-GTE". The one you quoted is a mkIII supra I think.

Hi mate theres not a lot of room in the back even for a child, the passenger seat would need to be right forward to give enough leg room in the back. Your gf would be a bit squashed in the front even if she was average height, im sure someone will be along shortly with a pic.

just to chirp in with my experience. My wife has a rather tall 9 year old boy, he is happy in the back although you do have to shift the seat forward to get him in, wife and boy have enough room. although true test will be this weekend, we are going to try going camping, first time in the supra. Think i will have to take out the spare wheel to fit everything in the boot.

1) I would say it's OK for a 10 year old. Not great for long car journeys though. I can get some photos if you can wait a couple of days. Remind me if I forget! :)

2) The NA mkIV supra has the designation "2JZ-GE". The twin turbo mkIV is "2JZ-GTE". The one you quoted is a mkIII supra I think.

The model code is actually JZA 80.

2JZ-GE & 2JZ-GTE is the engine code only

I managed to get 4 people in my car the other week to go up to Pod, it wasnt the most comfortable of journeys......

Were you all midgets??

I struggle to get meyself...(6.0ft) my missus (5.2ft) and Ellis (6 yrs) in our Supra. We went to Le Mans recently and if my wife was any taller then we couldn't have done it..!!

There is no room at all behind my seat whether I am a passenger or driving..!!

H.

Were you all midgets??

H.

Well, im not very tall and one of the people in the back is fairly short. The other person in the back had his head sort of over the back of the seat and half in the boot lol- god knows where his legs were

I recently let a friend drive the car, another friend in the passenger seat and i sat in the back, legs layed out across the seats. It was about a 20min journey, my left leg went completely dead due to the 'hump' in the middle of the back seat that when i got out and put weight on it, it was like i had no leg and i hit the deck.

i drove home :D

I've had 4 adults in mine - 2 blokes about 5'11 and 2 girls about 5'3 and 5'7 from Newcastle to Blackpool. Had to pull my seat forward a bit, but it's still fine if your the driver ;). Had a few complaints from the back after 2 hours though :D

and i'm finding it difficult to live with the terrible MPG, and the long list of potential problems that accompany the wankel engine

Grim isn't it, so wanted to like mine but sooo glad to see the back of it, running about in a BMW 330ci now and even with a straight 6 3ltr I'm seeing 150 more out a tank of fuel and it's got better performance :)

I managed to get 4 people in my car the other week to go up to Pod, it wasnt the most comfortable of journeys......

4? I fit 7! One in the boot, 3 in the back, myself and two people in the passenger front.

Although in saying that, I wouldn't really recommend it... :D

It is a bit of a squash and does depend a lot on how tall you are. I'm 6'2" and my seat touches the one behind. If I give quick lifts to people they cross their legs if they're sat behind me. My misses is 5'8" and she has to squash herself a bit to leave enough room for a few inches of legroom behind her seat. It's certainly possible to have one child in the back though, even for longish journeys.

If its a smallish child like you say then you should be fine...as long as the missus is not 6 foot tall. This morning picked up both my sisters from the hospital in St Paul's London and my brother in law. We all fitted in fine, though I had to move my seat forward (which felt akward but was fine because it was an auto). We are all averaging 5" 6 so not the tallest of bunch but comfortable for the 30 minute traffic run!