The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Which tyres

Tourniquet

Hello all, Im after a bit of advice on tyres.

Im running a single so it's got a fair bit of oomph in case it matters any (as all Supra's are fast)and I need new tyres.

What brand do you reccomend ? I've used Falken as they were reccomended once upon a time and thought they were dog shite and Ive always thought of Yoko's but theys seem such a rip off at £180 a corner. Any advice on what brands and/or where best to get them cost wise is appreciated as always

Lol alot of people said Falken 192's to me before that's why I got them - I don't know maybe it was just a lead foot period lol.

Anyone rate Nankangs ? I had em on my Fast Ford batmobile wannabe and they were great but the 2 cars are so different I wouldn't base my choice on that

I've just put some new rear Vredestein boots on... I had the continental's on the back and they were okish, but so far these Vredestein seem to be doing very good! Its only been a few weeks but might get these again though have been recommend Toyo's TR1's which I believe are great? Not tried them yet though.

I think the Vredestein was £115 a corner ex VAT, was about £250 for two tyres from Elite Direct.

Lol alot of people said Falken 192's to me before that's why I got them - I don't know maybe it was just a lead foot period lol.

Anyone rate Nankangs ? I had em on my Fast Ford batmobile wannabe and they were great but the 2 cars are so different I wouldn't base my choice on that

Upon reading through forum, the Nankangs seem to be widow makers! :blink:

I don't think people like/trust the Nankings.

Certainly the Falken 452 is a reasonable tyre at a reasonable price. I haven't tried the Toyo TR1s yet, but I believe they're quite liked around here.

edit: Jeez I'm slow off the mark tonight :rolleyes:

I used to have the Toyo T1R's on my T67 Supra. Personally i think they were a great tyre. I finished them off at Suprapod last year and they seemed to perform very well on the strip.

I replaced them with Falken 452's, in my opinion they are not as good as the Toyo's and when i change again i will be going back to the Toyos.

:)

pirelli p-zero assimetrico. the 888s are amazing for grip but lethal in the wet and they tend to crack if they get to cold in the winter. i find the p-zeros are the average best in all conditions and wen you push them hard and get good heat into them they grip verry well and ontop of that theyv outlasted all the other tyres iv tried by a good 4000 miles .

i own a tyre dealership so iv tried alot of tyres and im happyest on these .

Ive used the rosso for years very good allround tyre but the assimetrico i found to be very unforgiving, infact i lost the backend on those and went over a dual carageway sidewards, probably something to do with my right foot:innocent:

I've been looking at the Goodyear F1's again, i've got a set on now but also interested to see what others have on.

The GSD3s are too much of a PITA to get now so I've moved to Bridgstone Pontensa RE050A following others on here. Seem good so far.

Edited by Pete (see edit history)

The GSD3s are too much of a PITA to get now so I've moved to Bridgstone Pontensa RA 050 following others on here. Seem good so far.

I take it the Eagle F1 Asymmetric replaced the GSD3 ?

Are they not as good or a lot more expensive ?

Ive got toyot tr1's and they are great. ive never lost traction yet. Even at the club trackday i had to be pushing pretty damn hard and throwing the car arround to get the rear end to step out.

i was going "holy crap i cant make this turn" but the car did. They were more grippy than i was confident :p

Ive used the rosso for years very good allround tyre but the assimetrico i found to be very unforgiving, infact i lost the backend on those and went over a dual carageway sidewards, probably something to do with my right foot:innocent:

they do have to be up to temp to offer ther best in terms of grip , buta as an all rounder , im a fan