The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Internal build on singles?

jazz1

Ok i know LeeP has done alot of internal build as in pistons etc, what about the rest of the single guys do you just bolt on the kit and thats it? whats the difference? is it much better to upgrade all internal parts etc?

Ok i know LeeP has done alot of internal build as in pistons etc, what about the rest of the single guys do you just bolt on the kit and thats it? whats the difference? is it much better to upgrade all internal parts etc?

If you go for the bolt on option you are going to have to budget for around £10k ish

Turbo Kit (Turbo, DP, Manifold, Lines etc)

Fuel Kit (Fuel rail, Pumps, Injectors, FPR, Lines etc)

Supportive Mods (Bigger brakes, BC, AFR gauge, Cooling etc)

Mapping (ECU, Mapping, Dyno)

Labour for all the above.

I have no experience of single turbos but i have read lots of threads of personal experiences of single owners with stock internals (Robbie, Jamie P Ian C) and i would say go with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" approach.

Jamie P's latest single was a low mileage stock car and still on the unopened block. A rebuild is heavily reliant on a quality builder and you'd probably be better off killing a high mile stock engine and then (if you can find one) fitting a known low mile replacement.

id probably go with internals aswell just for the peace and mind

I feel the complete opposite should I ever do it again, a well looked after stock unopened engine will be fine for insane road power, and a lot cheaper that a WELL BUILT engine

Only addition would be Cams for me

Edited by tooquicktostop (see edit history)

Jazz do I remember you engine has an issue with compression though?? I would not add a single to a poor compression engine without sorting the problem first

yea my car did hence why i would do complete internal build but you have to understand its only valve related as my car has not been driven in 9 years. It must be sticky or carbon build up as LeeP did leak down test and the gasket was fine aswell as the pistons. LeeP gave it some treatment iv been driving it regular and will do another compression in couple months to see if it clears

my engine lets say broke on stock turbos so i rebuilt it with stock internals with no problems at all running a huge single. Like the previous post if its not broke dont fix it. If you do decide to rebuild it make sure You pick a GOOD engine builder or as i did do it yourself an be very maticulious in my opinion its the only way ull no its done right.

my engine lets say broke on stock turbos so i rebuilt it with stock internals with no problems at all running a huge single. Like the previous post if its not broke dont fix it. If you do decide to rebuild it make sure You pick a GOOD engine builder or as i did do it yourself an be very maticulious in my opinion its the only way ull no its done right.

I turst LeeP that guys treated my car like it was his own

I've been single for over 3 years with no engine problems. My top end has been rebuilt with new valve stem seals and hks cams. I think a lot of it comes down to the mapping and making sure that its mapped safely. I will at some point have it rebuilt but hopefully not any time soon.

Another good 'test' or example is JamieP's new project which he has done lots of miles, track, drag, drift and general 'Jamieness' and the stock engine seems to be holding up well.

Yup as others have said, if its healthy leave it stock, mine is upto 65k now, running lots of boost and still going strong, if it was to fail tomorrow id put another stock engine in i think.

I think chingy's car is also on stock internals. (I'm sure I read that in a magazine :) )

Correct.

And yet again - stock is fine unless you're going for crazy HP figures or rpm.

My old one has been single for about 3 years now, done a lot of miles and used as a daily driver on the stock, unopened engine.

With your car (It's only done about 15k hasn't it?) it'd be mad to rebuild the engine.

As everyone has already said only build the engine if it has a problem or you want more than 750hp, you can cause more problems than you solve opening it up.

Before you go single we can do a full leakdown test to see whats going on in there, I hope that its improved a bit since last time.

Dont forget to put your foot down now and again ;)

mines had the head done (valve stem seals, uprated cams, etc) by pheonix 18 months ago when I went for a T61DBB (spec in my garage), been my daily driver, pushing 560 @ 1.4bar (mapped by ryan) and seems to be a happy chappy.

we didnt touch the bottom end cause it was in excellent condition

As everyone has already said only build the engine if it has a problem or you want more than 750hp, you can cause more problems than you solve opening it up.

Before you go single we can do a full leakdown test to see whats going on in there, I hope that its improved a bit since last time.

Dont forget to put your foot down now and again ;)

:) yea i have been driving it more and putting my foot down il give it another test to see how it goes in next couple months thanks alot for your help LeeP will be in touch again soon:)