The mkiv Supra Owners Club

can you get non carbon bonnets

tooley

although the carbon bonnets look nice i would like to get my hands on a copy that i can then spray to the colour of my car. can anyone point me in the right direction of abflug top secret type bonnets that are non carbon

doesnt seem much point is shelling out all that wedge for a carbon bonnet to then spray it

Carbon is meant to be light and strong, not pretty. Its also MEANT to be painted, its not meant to be covered in clear coat and left. People just leave the carbon showing to show that they are using carbon parts. You can guarantee if those same folks painted them they would still explain, to everyone showing any interest, that the panels were in fact carbon and had been painted etc.

IMO carbon fibre looks crap. Some of the carbon/colour combinations on here DO look good but they would look just as good/better with black/colour mixing.

The alternative choice to CF is GRP (glass reinforced plastic), cheaper to produce than CF composites but weaker and generally heavier.

Most CF bonnets on fleabay are a CF/GRP mix, a pure CF one would be more expensive and lighter (if done properly).

i don't see the point in a painted CF bonnet, the stock bonnet it's so lighter compared with most of the cars!

(my old Integra bonnet was really heavy!)

He wants to change from a stock one to an aftermarket one for aesthetics, not to save weight over stock which as you say would take some doing with a composite bonnet (a vac-formed CF one would be the only contender if saving weight was the goal).