The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Whats peoples thoughts on Oil seal softener/replenishment additive??

j1mb0b1

If you have not seen my other thread, It looks like I have a leaking Valve stem seal, Just come off the phone to a friend who is a mechanic, He says pop some of that stuff in the oil and it helps to soften hardened seals up makes them last that little longer.

should I try it ?

Edited by j1mb0b1 (see edit history)

How often do you use the vehicle?

I found if I left my BMW standing for a 2 weeks it would smoke indicating valve stem seals, but when used more often there was no smoke etc.

if you are going to use it ensure its by Wurth or Forte which are decent brand trade products. If your mate can't get them visit a local garage and ask nicely ;)

How often do you use the vehicle?

I found if I left my BMW standing for a 2 weeks it would smoke indicating valve stem seals, but when used more often there was no smoke etc.

if you are going to use it ensure its by Wurth or Forte which are decent brand trade products. If your mate can't get them visit a local garage and ask nicely ;)

It gets used daily I'am not saying iam going to use it right now, But I'am going to the nurburgring in 2 weeks and I'am going to take some with me just in case it gets bad then I will bang it in :)

Big NO !

The car sales/trader favorite tool for a quick fix.

This stuff will soften and swell ALL rubber seals, not just your valve seals. So if you use it, factor changing, cam seals, valve seals, front and rear crank seal, etc,. as well. :)

Have used forte(I think) stuff on my previous prelude vti and on other bmw's we had. None ever had a problem with crank, cam or any other seals leaking and it sorted valve stem seal issues. Up to you really, personally I wouldn't use it on my supra as it seems more like a bandaid than a permanent solution, but if your in a bind I wouldn't worry about it destroying your engine or anything.

After reading that i definetly wouldnt use it ;)

very useful for pre owned car dealers lol

also how do you know if there damaged or how brittle theyve gone unless you take them out ?

i'd just get them replaced rather than use some additive, could this stuff over soften seals that dont have a problem ?

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)