The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Best way to drive re "economy"....?

Jamesy

Right this is prob a stooopid question but i've gotta ask it :taped:

I wanted to know the best driving style to get the best fuel economy (yeah i know the first answer...DONT buy a Supra!)

Now i know that the slower you drive the less fuel you use, BUT my question is if you drive really slow and always keep the revs between 1,500 - 2,000 ish will it actually use MORE fuel as you are straining the engine at constant low rpm?

I'm sure i heard once if a car is driven at sub 1800 rpm its hard work fopr the engine.

Or is this all a load of tosh?

Cheers :D

The reason a good straight run on a motorway gets you the best MPG is because you are doing about 70 and don't stop. In town, even though you're using less fuel, the starting and stopping, foot-down moments all lead to more fuel going into the engine than is needed.

Best tips? Trying to leave a large enough gap in front that if someone needs to slow down or stop that you are hardly effected.

Some people talk about it here.

When i used to drive without exceeding 2000 rpm on the way to work i used to get nearly 30 mpg compared to 'normal' driving when it was more like 20 mpg. Extremely boring driving at 2000 rpm though.

ahh so it does work to drive at the least rpm possible then.

but yeah agreed its not really worth owning a Supra if your not even gonna let the 1st turbo have a little tickle!!

That suggests using cruise control though, which is terrible for fuel consumption!

Don't see how this could be.

Why is cruise control terrible for fuel consumption...not continuously increasing/decreasing revs will benefit fuel consumtion surely

Why is cruise control terrible for fuel consumption...not continuously increasing/decreasing revs will benefit fuel consumtion surely

i agree - CC is great on the motorway for fuel economy IMO

Because it doesn't lift off downhill and it keeps power on uphill to maintain the speed exactly, you're better off easing off the throttle going downhill and maintaining speed roughly, maybe pick up a bit of speed, then slowing down slightly going uphill and accelerating gently on the flats.

Also see "hypermiling": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypermiling. IIRC some hypermiling techniques are impractical and/or dangerous on public roads, so you'd be wise to pick carefully the ones you'll use.

Driving slower is not necessarily more fuel-economical. Manufacturers often say at what speed and in what gear the engine is most efficient: for a petrol car this is usually around 2500rpm in top gear.

Keeping the car between 2000rpm and 3000rpm (petrol engines), accelerating gradually, not carrying around excess weight, and trying to smooth out the braking /accelerating cycles into a more uniform speed will all help.