The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Couple of Supra related Questions - Help pls

marbleapple

Evening all,

I have a few simple questions that I am sure the more clued up guys could answer for me in no time. Hope you don't mind me asking :)

1. Does anyone remember/know what were the cost of a Supra when new? I realise it will vary but an idea would be greatly appreciated.

2. How on earth do you turn the fog light on? - I'm told by my garage that as mine is a J Spec and one of the light bulbs is red it has been converted to a fog light (although I suspect the previous owner simply put a red bulb in). Neither the garage or I can work out how to turn the light on.

3. My my brakes are squeaking could I spray anti seize copper grease onto the disc or is that a bad idea?

1. i think 40k/45k... n/a & TT

2. "Should" be a after market fog light switch some where on the dash - although, I have seen them plumb the rear fog into the front fog light switch

3. Take the wheels off, and put some copper grease onto the back of the pads (metal part)

2. It's the switch down by your right knee, on the underside of the dash.*

3. I suspect not

* not really, I've never seen your car how would I know? Usually there is a rocker switch added to the right hand dash panel, or in one of the TRAC / Heated seat / Active spoiler switch. Or possibly wired into your front fog switch on the stalk. the only way to be sure is to trace the wiring from the "red" bulb and see where it goes assuming it has actually been wired.

Evening all,

I have a few simple questions that I am sure the more clued up guys could answer for me in no time. Hope you don't mind me asking :)

1. Does anyone remember/know what were the cost of a Supra when new? I realise it will vary but an idea would be greatly appreciated.

2. How on earth do you turn the fog light on? - I'm told by my garage that as mine is a J Spec and one of the light bulbs is red it has been converted to a fog light (although I suspect the previous owner simply put a red bulb in). Neither the garage or I can work out how to turn the light on.

3. My my brakes are squeaking could I spray anti seize copper grease onto the disc or is that a bad idea?

2. You need to have a switch retro-wired for a fog light. If you don't have a little out of place switch on the dash, and turning your fog lights on via the stalk doesn't work, then chances are you don't have one.

3 God no, never ever ever spray any lubricant, anti seizure stuff anywhere near your brake discs.

Anti squeel shims are your best bet. Is the squeeling from the front or the rear? What life is left on the pads? It might be the squeel tab thing letting you know your brakes are low.

if that dosent work try the grease on the discs. wer a helmet and you seatbelt , say goodbye to you loved ones just before :)

I thought that was the case... Bizarrely I got a free can of it at Goodwood and it stated 'prevents brake squeaks' and shows the brake disc.... I just thought it seemed odd :)

It needs an led and an actual switch for it to pass MOT though.

Yes but it doesn't. I think I am in the weird situation where my car has passed its last 2 MOT's without a rear foglight... I suspect BOTH garages saw the coloured bulb and presumed it had been converted. I know it was the case witht he garage I took it to last who stated that since it was me, and they know I am on the level, they presumed they just couldn't find the switch!

2. You need to have a switch retro-wired for a fog light. If you don't have a little out of place switch on the dash, and turning your fog lights on via

I don't have any switch.

Anti squeel shims are your best bet. Is the squeeling from the front or the rear? What life is left on the pads? It might be the squeel tab thing letting you know your brakes are low.

Rear. All pads were replaced 6 months ago. Will just take it into the garage and get it checked. It aslo appears to be juddering ont he front when braking on the motorway.

Edited by marbleapple (see edit history)

1. £37,500 for the TT model (stated in the top gear supra review video on the club video section).

2. dunno

3. If your brakes are squealing, at best you can try a hardware kit for them but really you probably had new pads put on old discs at some point causing the squeal. Whilst its the most expensive option, replace the discs and pads.

......Whilst its the most expensive option, replace the discs and pads.

You can't seriously suggest that to be the first thing to do. The pads come with a little metal tab on them to make them squeal when they are coming to the end of their life. CHECKING the pads & discs should be the first port of call, not replacing them.

You can't seriously suggest that to be the first thing to do. The pads come with a little metal tab on them to make them squeal when they are coming to the end of their life. CHECKING the pads & discs should be the first port of call, not replacing them.

That wasn't my first option, first option was a hardware kit or one could remove the brakes and apply copper grease and see how it goes.

I made the assumption that if the brakes are squealing its probably more than likelt they'll need replacing for one reason or another, so rather than faff about, just replace them.

I made the assumption that if the brakes are squeaking its probably more than likely they'll need replacing for one reason or another, so rather than faff about, just replace them.

Thanks for the advice. I replaced most of this stuff less than a year ago so it should be ok. I will have the garage check it all out this week... I was just interested about the free grease I was given at goodwood.

I am more interested now about the fog light. Interestingly I have a small hole in the bottom of the dash by my right knee (just where Pixilfill suggested!)... I wonder if there was a button there which was removed.

Edited by marbleapple (see edit history)