The mkiv Supra Owners Club

wheel mania vortex -r s (lacquer issues)

Ganty

Hi guys was thinking of getting some 19 vortex rs been looking on the forums and noticed some people having issues with the lacquer coming off . So cant decide if its worth it or not? has anyone had any problems ? also i will be running stock suspension and j spec brakes but maybe upgrading to uk and wanted to know which is the best size to fit with no rubbing etc. cheers

As an alternative,w hat about these, the KEI Kruze?

http://www.keiracing.com/wheels_kruze.html

http://www.keiracing.com/images/big_wheel_kruzesilver.jpg

We've fitted these to some Honda's and Subarus without any quality issues, but the owners do tend to keep the cars in question very clean using the usual main branded products.

To clear UK brakes you will need 17" wheels at the least but i suspect you will be going down the 18" route.

KEI are Japanese made but not seriously expensive either like many think. They are supposed to be lighter and better quality than the usual aftermarket wheels commonly retailed but they are not as good as the likes of Advan etc which are amongst the top of the Japanese wheel manufacturers and cost a lot.

I was looking at the Mania/TeamDynamics Jade R myself as they look great but due to their quality issues I'll be going for something else.

I believe that wheelmania wheel range are not all manufactured by the same original company. They are branded wheelmania rims, but they range from different suppliers. The vortex R's albeit easy on the eye are well known for poor laquer (more than likely down to them not being designed to work with our salty crap roads). The jade R's however are pretty good quality, and don't suffer the same issue as the vortex R's. The Monacos are also a better quality wheelmania rim as they have a stainless chrome rim.

Guest Gymbob
Hi guys was thinking of getting some 19 vortex rs been looking on the forums and noticed some people having issues with the lacquer coming off . So cant decide if its worth it or not? has anyone had any problems ? also i will be running stock suspension and j spec brakes but maybe upgrading to uk and wanted to know which is the best size to fit with no rubbing etc. cheers

Mate my wheels look like wheel mania ones but are first off a better make riverside, 2nd off deeper dish, 3rdly stronger.. i can't post on here though as im not a member if you want to see them look on the gtroc or sxoc or just email me and il send you some pics

[email protected] :search:

That's all well and good mate, but riverside alloys are $$$.

Really dont know what to do now guys i like the vortex r's but dont want to end up buying some brand new ones then in a years time or so need them refurbing! anybody got any other suggestions ? Think these look nice

wheels.jpg

I have Vortex r's on mine.

When I bought them the laquer was pretty good till I kerbed a wheel then as all laquered wheels do that have been kerbed lets water underneath. the ones UNKERBED were still as good as new 2 years later but I decided to have the kerbed one refurbed and stripped the laquer off all 4 and just keep ontop of them polishing them every now and then.

Use a wheel cleaner called 'Bliberry' It can be diluted to whatever strength is needed.It doesn't contain harsh ingredients that can harm laquer or painted wheels.I also use Chemical Guys wheel wax.This might help to prevent damage.That said Vortex wheels seem to be prone to peeling.Almost bought a set,but didn't because of this.