The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What to do?

Vaughany

Sorry for the long post but I need to set the scene. I have been building my Supra for the last three years, here is a link to my garage for photos and current spec.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1991

The car made 591bhp at the fly at 1.75bar which was ok but I decided to get the head ported and polished to see what improvements this made. After this was completed the car was took to Mark Shead for mapping.

Unfortunately on the road run at 1.6 bar a water hose popped off and we feared the worse as the temp gauge maxed out. The car was stopped immediately to minimise any damage. After letting the car cool down, refilled the radiator the car was taken out and driven steadily to see how it drove. All indications were good, temps were back to normal at normal driving and there was no obvious signs from driving to make us think there was a problem.

After road mapping I continued to get a single power run on a Dyno Dynamics dyno. The car made 516bhp at the fly which was obviously 75bhp down on the last power run prior to porting and polishing of the head. I was obviously upset and seeked answers to why the power had dropped. It seems the brief overheating has caused some damage. A compression test confirmed this with the following readings

piston 1 150

piston 2 150

piston 3 150

piston 4 140

piston 5 131

piston 6 130

Actual diagnosis for the exact problem still needs to be confirmed but indications are that at best I need new piston rings, at worse, new pistons and rings. So is suppose anywhere between £2000 - £4000 to repair.

I have had enough of the car now and have decided to sell, my questions are the following

1. Should I repair the car in full,mapping and power run and then sell?
  2. Should I sell the car as it is with a obvious price reduction?
  3. What would the car be worth in a fixed state?
  4. What would it be worth as it stands?

Dont really want to break and sell the parts as it will take to long. The car was built from an empty shell upwards and has an extensive build including full respray and currently owes me in the region of £40k:(

Please advise as I have lost faith!

Thanks

Get it repaired and sell it mate if you have had enough. You have a STUNNING car. With some very nice parts. It would take a long time and a lot of effort to brake.

I saw it outside halfords a few months back and still looked great.

If you wanted to brake it i'd take the tubby kit off you but i dont have the money :(

gutted for you :(

It will always be worth more being fully functional. It would make sense to fix it and then sell it if you so wish, the fact of the matter is, you won't see 40k, but you would see something realistic.

Hi Gav

Yeh i know it makes sense to fix it but what do you think a realistic price would be? f i could get £10k as it is and £14k as repaired, I could see the worth in fixing it especially if the damage isd not horrendous.

What do you think it would be worth in a fully functional state - I was hoping for £16k - realistic or not?

Hi Gav

Yeh i know it makes sense to fix it but what do you think a realistic price would be? f i could get £10k as it is and £14k as repaired, I could see the worth in fixing it especially if the damage isd not horrendous.

What do you think it would be worth in a fully functional state - I was hoping for £16k - realistic or not?

Hmmm, it could go offshore for more. Perhaps have a word with Jurgen, given the amount of work that has gone in, I would have thought it would possibly be worth more.

It is a lovely looking car, stock and has a VERY impressive mod list

Exterior

MKIV Supra UK - No bodykit

Lamboughini Blue Spark

Colour coded Front Active spoiler and Oem trims

Interior

Oem Seats front and Rear, Blue Alcatera and Black leather with Supra logo

Blue Alcatera door cards with black leather

Blue/Black Mats with Supra logo

Levoc Automatic Gear Knob

Levoc Handbrake Handle

Chrome Heater Control buttons

Razo Pedals

Engine and Turbo

PHR Stage 2+ Turbo Kit - T67 Turbo includes HKS 50mm stainless steel header, HKS GT 60mm external wastegate, 65mm 321 stainless steele Dump Tube

HKS Type R BOV

Greddy Oil Catch Can

Veilside Intake with 100mm Throttle Body

Built Engine - Parts used rated to 1000bhp

CP 87mm Pistons

H Beam Carillo Conrods

VP Race Bearings

Balanced and polished crankshaft

Rebored block

Uprated Oil Pump

ARP Big End and Main studs

ARP Rod Bolts

Head Work

HKS 272 Cams Intake and outlet

HKS Adsjustable Cam Gears

Reground Head Valves

1.2mm Gasket

Ported and Polished

Re - Shimmed

PHR 150amps Racing Alternator

Battery Relocated to Boot

Various bits of Bling

Fuelling

Racing 1200cc Fuel Injectors

Twin Motorsport Fuel Pumps

Braided fuel lines

Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator

Cooling

Greddy 4 Row Intercooler

Fluidyne Aluminium Radiator with twin electric fans

Mocal Oil Cooler

Mocal Transmission oil Cooler with electric fan

Transmission

4 speed Automatic Gear Box - Uprated and strengthened

3200 High Stall Torque Converter

Suspension and Handling

Tein Superstreet Coilovers with EDFC

Cusco Strut Brace

Race Logic Traction Control

Exhaust

PHR 3" Downpipe and Midpipe

Blitz Nurspec R Stainless Steele Exhaust system

Electronics

Autronic SMC ECU

Autronic 5000 Direct Fire CDI

Blitz Dual Solenoid SBC - ID 111 Spec R Boost Controller

Greddy Oil Temp Gauge

Greddy Transmission Temp Gauge

AEM Air Fuel Ratio gauge

Blitz Mirror EGT Gauge

Brakes

UK Brakes 4 pots at front and 2 pots at rear

Braided brake lines

5.1 Synthetic Brake Fluid

Wheels and Tyres

Blitz Technospeed Z1 19 X 10 285/35/19 and 19 x 9 245/35/19

ICE

Panasonic CD. MP3 player

VIBE Speakers front and Rear

400watt amplifier

1000 Vibe 12" Base Box and built in Amplifier

Security

Clifford Condcept 650 Alarm/Immobiliser

RAC Tracker

i would say its easily worth 14k. there are some very nice and rare parts on this car. wheels aint cheep. veilside intake. One of the nicest engine bays in the club.

Get it fixed up and ill do you a strait swap then you can have a nice reliable bpu uk spec instead :p

Wahtever happens, the car is definitely going!

It is a shame, as it is a lovely example...

If it were me, I get it checked out properly to diagnose which bits have gone, as it may not be as bad as you think, and I'd still maintain a working car like yours is worth SOO much more than a blown one.

The compression is not that bad, ive seen worse, how do you know its the rings and not a head issue?

Does the car smoke? was is dyno'd on the same dyno?

Being auto i think you will struggle to get good money for it.

Hi Jamie

No smoke, no overheating, some glazing on the bores so possibly rebore and new piston rings i hope. Until the engine is took apart, no way of really knowing.

I would hope £16k would be realistic a few grand for a manual conversion and a high spec manual supra would belong to the new owner.

Hi Jamie

No smoke, no overheating, some glazing on the bores so possibly rebore and new piston rings i hope. Until the engine is took apart, no way of really knowing.

I would hope £16k would be realistic a few grand for a manual conversion and a high spec manual supra would belong to the new owner.

I just dont think there are many people that would spend that sort of money (Gaz1's stunning single 6speed never made that much and was forsale for a long time) on a auto supra in this climate, i hope im wrong though and good luck with what ever you do.

On another note i thought this car made over 700bhp? maybe im getting mixed up with somebody else:)

Edit, no it was you.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=161790

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

I just dont think there are many people that would spend that sort of money (Gaz1's stunning single 6speed never made that much and was forsale for a long time) on a auto supra in this climate, i hope im wrong though and good luck with what ever you do.

On another note i thought this car made over 700bhp? maybe im getting mixed up with somebody else:)

Different dyno mate, 591 on dyno dynamics, i was expecting more hence why head was ported and polished. i was hoping the spec would of produced 600bhp at 1.5/1.6bar but not so laggy

Are you sure the head`s 100%? Valves seating ok?

If it IS pistons/rings wouldn`t a s/h engine work out cheaper?

Not sure mate but my engine had a lot done to it and I am hoping alot of it is still ok to use, not sure what the costs would eb to transfer together with buying a 2nd hand engine

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice guys, well i decided to get the engine repaired. On further investigation the damage was not as bad as first thought. The rings were knackered and there was glazing to the pistons caused by overheating due to the water pipe popping off. As we speak all issues are being sorted with new parts and I should have the car back by friday.

The car will be for sale shortly so if anyone is interested prior to the official add, please drop me a PM

Thanks again for the advice

The car will be for sale shortly so if anyone is interested prior to the official add, please drop me a PM

All that hassle for 36-months and you want to sell your pride and joy.

I think your passion will reignite once you have her up and running again

Unless you need the money for other plans then I would certainly consider keeping the Supe.

All that hassle for 36-months and you want to sell your pride and joy.

I think your passion will reignite once you have her up and running again

Unless you need the money for other plans then I would certainly consider keeping the Supe.

My previous Supra was stock engine running a PHR Stage 1 - great car with no problems. This one has certaintly been a test. In all honesty I dont want to drive it as I know I will want to keep it. The missus wants to keep the Supe as she is insured on it and loves driving the car.

I have just decided to sell and buy a sensible nice family car, a shame i know but FAMILY first:)

Thanks for the advice guys, well i decided to get the engine repaired. On further investigation the damage was not as bad as first thought. The rings were knackered and there was glazing to the pistons caused by overheating due to the water pipe popping off. As we speak all issues are being sorted with new parts and I should have the car back by friday.

Thanks again for the advice

EDIT: I need to read more before posting lol

Ryan

Edited by Ryan.G (see edit history)

EDIT: I need to read more before posting lol

Ryan

No worries mate, I thought glazing of the bores and pistons was caused through light loads in the running in phase of an engine build where the rings/valves dont hone properly

On further reading I found that overheating can cause relaxed rings and glazing to the pistons causing low compression. Either way, a aggravation which has been costly to repair. I am surprised that a water pipe slipping off can cause so much damage - :)

I suppose it could have been worse, damage to the HG or head was possible but no damage was found luckily.