The mkiv Supra Owners Club

jacking up a supra

Scooter

I'm getting more and more into working on my car but also am aware at times that i could do with getting it properly jacked up ie all four corners plus more height than the tyres being only just off the ground.

can anyone recommend a quality trolley jack or what lifting weight / features i should be looking for.

is it ok to just jack the rear up on the diff? and what about the front, center of the chassis beam behind the engine?

should you use any sort of cushioning between the jack plate and the car or an axle stand and the car?

where exactly would you position x4 axle stands on the car?

plus anything that you think might help............

TIA

I made a steel cradle for my trolley jack which fits round the chassis rail. There is a squre of plastic glued to the cradle which sits on the rail. I jack the car up one side at a time and put the axle stands under the chassis rail as in the picture. The car seems very solid like this. http://hometown.aol.co.uk/gordonflyn/images/sup%20on%20jacks.jpg

I did something similar to Gordon when my wheels were in for a refurb. I jacked the fronts up on the suspension bush housings and put axle stands under the chassis rail jacking points with grooved pieces of wood between the stand and the car. For the back I lifted the whole car on the diff housing.

Fairly solid, but getting it down was a bit of a performance. I ended up being uder the car letting the back down with the fronts on axle stands. If the car had slipped I'd have been squished. Could have thouhgt that one through a bit better :eek: