The mkiv Supra Owners Club

AA or RAC?

martini

I've seen a few of these threads already, but they are very old.

I plan on having Chris Wilson look over the car before winter sets in so it can have its first service with me as the owner.

If something were to happen, or she weren't to start up one morning... how do I get that sorted?

I thought I would look into AA and RAC as they're the two that I know, but it's quite costly per year... is it recommended (home start included)?

cheers, M

I have been with both for years. Was with the AA for over 5 years but their service became pathetic and depsite having the most expensive cover, they still chraged me for comming out!!

I then switched to the RAC, gain most expensive bells & whistles cover. Only every needed them once but they were fast and efficint compared to the AA.

RAC all the way! :thumbs::thumbs:

Whilst I have never had to use them in recent years its nice to know that you are covered as its always sods law, you'll need them when you are not covered.

I've seen a few of these threads already, but they are very old.

I plan on having Chris Wilson look over the car before winter sets in so it can have its first service with me as the owner.

If something were to happen, or she weren't to start up one morning... how do I get that sorted?

I thought I would look into AA and RAC as they're the two that I know, but it's quite costly per year... is it recommended (home start included)?

cheers, M

speak to your insurance company as most can offer beakdown recovery with home start for around £30, adrian offer european cover with home start for £34.95 and 9 times out of 10 it one the major companys (AA, RAC, grennflag etc) that turn up when called out

From a family members experience when you are covered for breakdown via the inusrance things don't always go smoothly, I ended up having to call out the RAC for them myself!

Both do cover that starts from around £25/30 but its upto you what level of cover you want. Take a look on their websites to see what cover they offer at what prices.

From a family members experience when you are covered for breakdown via the inusrance things don't always go smoothly, I ended up having to call out the RAC for them myself!

Both do cover that starts from around £25/30 but its upto you what level of cover you want. Take a look on their websites to see what cover they offer at what prices.

i found with adrian flux(not sure about other companys) theygive you a calling card all you do is phone the number on it and they do the rest, simple and like i said it most likly be one the major companys and we seen the adverts they all say there the quickest lol

I had full joint AA membership for myself and the wife for quite a few years Even used their insurance a couple of times for one car or another.

Only time I had to use them was for the Seat Leon, which, ironically, was covered for AA rescue under warranty. Absolutely shocking!! The car had an electrical fault with the dash. First thing the AA man did was open the drivers door against the adjacent wall taking the paint off the car. There was no way this guy had ever passed training as a mechanic. He was absolutely clueless. Spent half an hour on the phone to his 'technical department' who seemed to be as well qualified as he was. In the end the car was relayed to the local dealers at my request before this clown did any more damage.

AA = Avoid At all costs :Pling:

I had full joint AA membership for myself and the wife for quite a few years Even used their insurance a couple of times for one car or another.

Only time I had to use them was for the Seat Leon, which, ironically, was covered for AA rescue under warranty. Absolutely shocking!! The car had an electrical fault with the dash. First thing the AA man did was open the drivers door against the adjacent wall taking the paint off the car. There was no way this guy had ever passed training as a mechanic. He was absolutely clueless. Spent half an hour on the phone to his 'technical department' who seemed to be as well qualified as he was. In the end the car was relayed to the local dealers at my request before this clown did any more damage.

AA = Avoid At all costs :Pling:

Speaking of which, with the AA many many years ago, my BMW 325 sport snapped a rocker arm. You could see the broken arm through the oil filler cap hole! AA man arrives and insists its sparks plugs :no: despite me pointing at the rocker arm. Then they send a crappy tow truck which could not be use on the BMW yet they insisted it could. I argued this with the info according to the owners manual and diagrams! Then after 2 hours they finally sent a proper tow truck.

just as a note the rac charge extra if your car is not standard and "requires" extra help to get on a truck

an addvantage of getting it though you insurance as aslong as you have it declared non standard those carges cant be made they tried it with me on a clio it was so low they couldn't even use a low loading recovery truck and they want to charge for having to send 3 trucks, before they could move it lol

an addvantage of getting it though you insurance as aslong as you have it declared non standard those carges cant be made they tried it with me on a clio it was so low they couldn't even use a low loading recovery truck and they want to charge for having to send 3 trucks, before they could move it lol

LOL if your cars that low IMO its just being daft (no offence). We see it all the time, even with quite low ramps we get the bad boys in the Focus 1.6;s, Saxo's etc justs skimming the tarmac, but they never consider how impracticle it to get a jack under there should you get a puncture or need to take the car to a workshop :rolleyes: We are now getting completely flat ramps installed as we get too many of these max power boys in.

LOL if your cars that low IMO its just being daft (no offence). We see it all the time, even with quite low ramps we get the bad boys in the Focus 1.6;s, Saxo's etc justs skimming the tarmac, but they never consider how impracticle it to get a jack under there should you get a puncture or need to take the car to a workshop :rolleyes: We are now getting completely flat ramps installed as we get too many of these max power boys in.

lol i was one those boys but i was luck enough to have one those low ramps in the shed at my uncles as he had a supra but i grown out of it and got to think semi pratical lol

just as a note the rac charge extra if your car is not standard and "requires" extra help to get on a truck

I called them twice this year and never had that problem. Mine is very very low and fully kitted.

They impressed me this year actually.

We are now getting completely flat ramps installed as we get too many of these max power boys in.

Superb. About time garages move with the times.

I asked a machanic about coil overs the other day and he said he didnt know what they were.... his 18 year old apprentice did.

Might be worth pointing out some company's cover only the car on the policy others will cover you no matter what car your in :)

Both the AA and RAC offer this, but from my experience you get this depending on the level of cover you go for which is usually the higher spec cover.

I always get tight fisted family and friends asking me call the RAC for them, this used to get tedious as I'd have to show my face at the scene (therefore get there myself physically) but now I tell everyone to sod off and get their own cover.

I have to go for personal RAC cover it would seem - the car cover only applies to vehicles under 10 years old (unless you add the home start).

http://idisk.me.com/martinirwin/Public/Pictures/Skitch/RAC2-20090701-231149.jpg

http://idisk.me.com/martinirwin/Public/Pictures/Skitch/RAC-20090701-231009.jpg

I have been with the AA for 25 years. Used them quite a few times and never had cause to complain.

The last time I hadn't even broken down. The water pump was leaking and I didnt want to risk further damage by driving 200 miles home. I told the guy, "water pumps gone", He just took my word for it, never checked, put it on the low loader and took me home.

Do you have a gold bank accout/ paid for bank account? I get my recovery in any car and in europe free along with mobile/travel insurance and discounts to various attractions. Much more value than paying the AA/RAC imho

Do you have a gold bank accout/ paid for bank account? I get my recovery in any car and in europe free along with mobile/travel insurance and discounts to various attractions. Much more value than paying the AA/RAC imho

Agreed i have mine tied in with my lloyds account, i get full break down anywhere anytime, in any car. Also the nice perk of if they dont fix it by the road they will provide a hire car. Should it be to late or early to do this they will pay for the nearest hotel until they can get you the hire car.

Moble/travel insurance included, House hold boiler breakdown is also covered. Cheap holidays, and free departure lounge tickets.

Much better option IMO

Edited by The Raven (see edit history)

As others have said, the cover that car insurers will sell you usually only covers you for the car you're insuring with them: not great for multi-car households.

I'm with the RAC too, and I've been happy with them. They did struggle (and eventually fail) to find the cause of a weird fault on my fiesta that my mechanic neighbour found within 15 mins, but RAC were debugging it from scratch, whereas I was able to tell me neighbour what they'd already tried.

Don't be tempted to leave out home-start (or whatever they call it) to save some money. Chances are, that's when you'll need it the most!

Who do you bank with? My bank do full RAC cover with the platinum account, which costs me £12 per month (also includes mobile phone insurance and holiday cover and stuff, so well worth it IMO). Might be worth looking into upgrading your current account to the highest level, I'm sure it's still cheaper than going to AA/RAC direct.

natwest offer the serrvice aswell but you got to have there gold accout

How much is their Gold account? And what cover is given and how much is that cover direct?

I'm with LloydsTSB, and have upgraded to a Platinum Account for £12 per month, with these benefits. The AA cover given is on this link, not bad really considering the same cover from AA is over £100!!!