The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Body kits - what is the point?

hogmaw

Are they just vanity projects, or do they really serve a purpose? If so, what purpose, apart from weighing the car down? Is it actually proven that handling can be improved at high speed - or perhaps even hindered?

I am a fan of stock myself, though I do agree some bodykits can improve the look of the car. But is that as far as it goes?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are they just vanity projects, or do they really serve a purpose? If so, what purpose, apart from weighing the car down? Is it actually proven that handling can be improved at high speed - or perhaps even hindered?

I am a fan of stock myself, though I do agree some bodykits can improve the look of the car. But is that as far as it goes?

I would imagine that some have a minimal effect on performance.

This will start a nice fight:d

On the supra they are just for looks (some questionable), i am a fan of the stock body cars but some kitted cars (not many) pull them off very well, i very much like Chingys do-luck car and Matts trial supra to name a couple:cool:

I think its down to your personality, you make your car your own by adding touches and modifications to your own taste. If not all Supras would look the same except colour. I have added a kit because I like the look of the car with it on, and have gone through several kits/parts till I am happy. I know for a fact my car is not really liked on here due to alot of so called "chav" mods, but to be honest I don't care, I did my car for me not anyone else. I personally think stock Supras look fine, just slightly boring.

I am sure there are some kits that do add some fuctionality, but most are surely just cosmetic.

It's only a vanity or sheep thing IMO. Some body kits do enhance the look of the car, but cars with randomly slapped on stuff without a thought for the overall look of the car just look naff. Aside from some front bumpers that can aid airflow to an FMIC (Do Luck and Stillen are the only that come to mind), bonnets vents which help with heat loss and in the case of track cars a huge rear spoiler, there isn't going to be a lot of difference from a performance perspective

As Jamie says a few cars that have had the overall look of the car taken into consideration do pull it off well...

Foodfreaks (Yes, a full Veilside kitted car)

Chingy (Full Do luck kit)

Javansio (subtle mods)

The Skunk2 supra

Jamie's old supra (bit ott, but did look good)

The Punisher (TRD aerotop)

From a practical point of view I can't be dealing with a kitted car anymore, they're just not worth the hassle. All I hear from owners of them is complaints about cracks, scrapes, difficulties going onto driveways, car parks, the list is endless.

Maybe I'm just getting old (and sensible) :D

Do-luck kits are pretty functional, especially the bonnet, draws the hot air out

True I can understand bonnet vents ie the UK spec has them so they probably do serve a purpose. Also front end for access to FMIC... but sides and spats???

Think about it? Toyota spent ££££££££££'s on development for a car that was meant to out perform most of the stock cars out at the time. So I would say stock is best, but on the other side of that coin is BIG singles. Then I'd say its down to market research and experiance.

True I can understand bonnet vents ie the UK spec has them so they probably do serve a purpose. Also front end for access to FMIC... but sides and spats???

speaking on behalf of what I've got yeah skirts and spats I agree totally visual, I can't think of any performance enhancements they create, although I think some different makes of skirts help with cooling but could be wrong

I did my car for me not anyone else.

Amen to that. :)

I'm sure bodykits have their roots in performance enhancements, but the vast majority are purely cosmetic. Also, having a bumper that sits 2 inches off the ground is all very well on a track, but not much good in the real world.

Amen to that. :)

I'm sure bodykits have their roots in performance enhancements, but the vast majority are purely cosmetic. Also, having a bumper that sits 2 inches off the ground is all very well on a track, but not much good in the real world.

Yeah big air intakes for FMIC/Rad cooling, side ducts for brakes, induction kits, rear wings and undertrays for down force, but after fitting my JUN front had to raise my coilovers up cause of the terrible roads around here.

To me it's very much solely visual preference that would make me choose whether to put on different bumpers, skirts etc.

As a few have said, Do-Luck fronts for example will aid in air flow, but I can imagine that the majority aren't purchasing based on that reason :)

I like both kitted (when done nicely) and stock styling. It just depends on the approach.

It also - IMO - keeps the scene from being a bit less boring. Obviously power based mods give good variance between cars, but if having a big Supra meet and photoshoot, it's always good for the styling to be mixed up a wee bit :)

Mine's completely stock boby kit wise. Apart from the spats. they came wih the car, but i do prefer cars with em on rather than without. Althoug hmy car is lowered, so that adds to the looks too IMO.

I do like some kits too, such as the Top Secret and Bomex. But i think i'd prefer adding performance mods rather than just aesthetics.