The mkiv Supra Owners Club

removal of titan crank dampaner

michel lane

Well this weekend, I had the task of removing my crank dampaner that was installed by another garage, to change the leaky oil seal. It was a searious bitch , it took me 2 days to finaly move the dampaner using 5 pulleys which all broke !!!. I removed the bolt and heated up the pulley but still no joy. Are these a Tight fit as normal !!.

Well after removing it with a tool from machine mart, the dampener removal kit but using a forged bolt rather then the alloy bolt provided, I discovered that my SP oil pump had not been installed correctly, the previous garage rounded the 3 counter sunk screws holding the seal in place which then took me another 2 hours to get of, then i discovered that the oil seal was missing the S/S spring behind it to keep the seal firmly on the crank !! So I found the reason for my oil leaks !!!..

I usually undertake these jobs myself but did not have time to change the pump , so i passed it to a garage that i hoped new what they were going with the car. It seems not !!, well I installed the new seal and placed some instant gasket on the front of the seal with some new counter sunk screws. If the screws were not inplace the seals would have gone along time ago !!!...

So thats my rant for today. Car is working but no second gear at the moment, another job to start shortly.

Bossco had the same problem with the same garage so your not the 1st matey if it's the garage I'm thinking of.

The only garage I trust is my own. There's never been a bad job came from it of a customer ever came back.

yep you are right and they are supposed to be pro's ...i had some other problems aswell , with a simple undertray, lets just say it fell off at 150 liptons and the car did a bummy hop with the front wheels ,lucky for good bonnet letches otherwise i would be wearing it ..:(

so your pump has 3 screws that hold the seal inplace to stop it being pushed out again, i recently changed my front seal as it popped out at donnington, but a week or so after superglueing the new 1 in that also popped out, my reason was a worn oil pump was allowing to much oil to pass behind the seal hence forcing it out at 90psi.

Since changing the pump and seal (no glue this time) all seems well and i have checked it 3 time's just to make sure it hasent moved, i did think about tapping 3 small hole's around the seal and fitting some screws to help hold it in but thought id try a new pump first as when the car was new it didnt have supporting screws fitted.

I take it your running higher rev's then.

I think we are talking about the same garage Michel as your car had been suposedly fixed as mine was being dropped off by the RAC truck. Did they change your front seal and is this the 1st time it's popped since they replaced it?

They had to do mine twice as it popped it's seal within an hour of me picking the car up. I hadnt even made it home. I also had oil pressure which was off the scale but they tried to blame that on the new oil pump rather than there mistakes when fitting it.

They also stung me with a rather large bil for the work, allthough with a bit of negotiation they did agree to reduce it.

If it is indeed the same place we are talking about then they told me that they actually rang you for advice on how to fix my car?

Not that I dont trust your work ;) but it dosent fill me with confidence when a garage admits to ringing other supra owners for advice.

The car hasnt leaked oil since but it does have an over heating problem which I'm still not convincied wasnt caused by there handy work when putting the car back together.