The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Sprayed my spark plug cover

DSK

Whilst I am waiting for the remaining ignition coils to arrive, I removed the spark plug cover and decided to paint the damn thing.

Using the guide in the technical section as a quick guide I followed that pretty much. However, being an impatient sod I used direct sunlight, a hair dryer to speed up the drying process, ignoring the 'allow 24 hours to dry' instructions. I also did this outdoors so was subjected to the usual wind and flying minute insects. (I gave it 2 coats of primer, 2 coats of alpine white (lettering/logo), 2 coats audi laser red and 3 coats of Lacquer).

I also decided to spray the lettering in BMW Alpine White, then masked it off, cut around it with a stanley blade and proceeded to spray the cover in Audi Laser Red, before removing all masking tape etc and giving it a few coats of lacquer.

Here's what I have ended up with, never having touched a spray can or done anything like this before in my life! (In the sunlight the cover looks quite dazzling, but by the time the lacquer had dried for the photo the sky was dull).

I was going to go for black as the base colour and Jaguar's champagne gold for the lettering/logo but could not find any suitable gold/champagne paint on the shelf.

plugcover1.jpg

sprayed mine last week at acost of £2 black from green looks 100% better yours is looking good ![COOL][/COOL]

£2!!!! Thats a bargain in anyone's book! fair play!

I spent £27 @ Halfords on the spray cans, masking tape, blade, wet & dry papers etc! I did think about putting all the stuff back on the shelf and walking out empty handed!

had all the stuff lyin around apart from black spray got that at Cattrick market for £2 looks cool as **** now

thats the main thing, as long as you're happy with what you seen when you lift the bonnet. All should be in place on Wednesday, so touch wood I'll take another picture in the sun with it fitted.

Its each to their own. My car is black, so I wanted black as a base colour, but thought about the red/white TRD colours and went down this route.

I think for your white car, a white base colour with red lettering/logo would look cracking.

Thanks for the comments folks. Its amazing how it all looks pretty good when a few coats of colour and lacquer have been applied.

Have you masked the cam belt replacement sticker and sprayed round it?

Yes. However I masked the lettring and logo in white properly but, the dirty cambelt replacement sticker I only put a few strips of A4 paper on that I quickly cut up and held in place hence the lack of sharp edges there

Guest prelude_prince

Here is my white internally stock :p MKIV with a painted cover;

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2507/222/73/725435397/n725435397_6579396_326503.jpg

Here's some pictures of the plug cover again, another on its own and 2 intalled in the car. Dam thing fell off the wheelie and now has a bit of 'road rash' so I'll have to spray the sodding thing again.

Sorted 1 of my coil pack clips (it had disintegrated itself hence the misfire). Took me 1 f*cking hour, not 5 mins, but then put my cover on and took the car for a 1 hour blast (here's a tip, don't drive you car at over 150mph unless you want it covered in insects!). For every time I drive it, it needs to be washed :banghead:

cover3.jpg

cover4.jpg

cover5.jpg

cover6.jpg