The mkiv Supra Owners Club

carbon bonnets

L33

would any one on here be interested in a carbon bonnet?

a mate of mine who does fiberglass work by trade is now making carbon fiber bonnets.

he uses a bonnet, coveres it in fiberglass to make a mould and then uses carbon fiber matting to create the carbon bonnet.

he has currently done ones for a honda crx, type r and integra. is just in the planning of making one for a scooby with the bonnet scoop as well, but going to make it all one complete thing not a carbon bonnet and then bolt on a carbon scoop to prevent cracking.

so i guess he could possibly even do custom scoops and vents ect.

i said i would ask on here to see if he would have much interest, and considering he thinks the price of buying a carbon bonnet is a complete rip off my guess is his prices would be cheaper!

im going to see some of his finished products soon to see the quality of them but it does sound interesting.

if there is much interest on here i will take some pics and see if we can try and get some sort of trader thing going?

cheers

Lee

Good luck to your mate, however the interest shown now may vary later on depending on his method and the make-up of the CF bonnet(s).

For example:

:: Will the bonnet contain both the inner frame and outer skin of the bonnet, or is he aiming for just a CF skin with custom reinforcement?

:: Will it be made purely from CF or CF/FG?

:: What ply will the CF have?

:: What resin system will he be using?

:: Is the resin system AV-Resistant?

:: Will a vacuum process be used?

Lots of variables involved (each affecting cost), and each one may/may-not appeal to individuals...hence the interest will waiver until a spec list has been nailed down.

I expect so i will ask him. He already made fiberglass splitters for his car ect. I post all of the about questions to ask him. At the mo its just some thing on the side he does in his dads garage but he has now bought a unit which i have to sort the electrics for next week so can find out info then and get pics