The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Still here - No Supra yet though!

Guest GT Destroyer

Guest GT Destroyer

I'm still here and still hellbent on getting a Supra!

Getting closer and closer all the time, am just going through a difficult time at the moment, but hopefully one of the positives will be owning my first Supra.

Anyway,

The turbo situation. The std TT has 2 and this must help to prevent lag, so if one was to replace the 2 turbos with 1 big one (I think a T61 seems to be the norm) does this not give you huge amounts of lag before the turbo is in full chat? Could you not upgrade the 2 exisitng turbos and thus keep it as a TT not a T?

Also one thing I sometimes struggle with is the age. If I had say betwen 8-10k I could probably get a beautiful, low mileage Supra or have a pick of many that are available to buy. Now I sometimes compare this against an Evo or an STI/WRX, I could spend a similar amount of money and get a car thats probably just as quick, but is much much newer. Its the age thing that really concerns me, like compare 4/5 years old car to a 14/15 years old car?

So I guess I'm after some reasons from existing Supra owners as to why I'd buy a car thats so old.

Thanks.

There are many newer cars you could but with the money, but that's not the point, is it?

Unless you've driven a TT they are not that slow, so while the big single is perhaps the holy grail of Supra ownership, do try a TT. Even when the TT has gone BPU, (click where it says BPU) it's a fast machine.

As for hybrids - I believe the general thinking here is - Don't. Go either BPU or single.

Guest GT Destroyer

I spent ages reading all about the BPU bits in the threads by Ian C - Its quite interesting just how much power can be released by doing some simple mods!

I guess the point is that if its a Supra you want its a Supra you buy, I do see that. I think its something I can come round to. Plus I guess the Supra is kind of an iconic car, I try to justify the age issue by thinking that. I mean how many Evos and Scoobys do you see on the roads, then how many Supras.

I also guess it takes a long time to actually find the right Supra for you, I think I'd be quite picky so I can make sure that when I'm ready I do find the right car for me.

Loving the forum - I just hope things go in the right direction for me and Supra ownership shouldn't be too long whatever happens elsewhere!

The turbo situation. The std TT has 2 and this must help to prevent lag, so if one was to replace the 2 turbos with 1 big one (I think a T61 seems to be the norm) does this not give you huge amounts of lag before the turbo is in full chat? Could you not upgrade the 2 exisitng turbos and thus keep it as a TT not a T?

Also one thing I sometimes struggle with is the age. If I had say betwen 8-10k I could probably get a beautiful, low mileage Supra or have a pick of many that are available to buy. Now I sometimes compare this against an Evo or an STI/WRX, I could spend a similar amount of money and get a car thats probably just as quick, but is much much newer. Its the age thing that really concerns me, like compare 4/5 years old car to a 14/15 years old car?

So I guess I'm after some reasons from existing Supra owners as to why I'd buy a car thats so old.

Thanks.

Hi and welcome,

A BPU TT is still a very fast car but T61dbb will be similar in spool to stock twins but with a shed load more power if you have the right supporting mods.

Id not bother with hybrids, minimal gains and they seem to fail a lot.

Supra's have soul, ive been through many newer cars such as M5/EVO 9gt/ Supercharged Monaro etc and cant help but come back to the Supra's, great car that hides its years well imo.

Regards Jamie:)

i agree jamie tt supra's are very addictive i had always wanted one anyway but as soon as i drove my 1st one about 3 years ago i new that was the only car i would ever want, unfortunately i had a blowout in that 1 and it got wrote off but i have just bought a non turbo mkiv while im saving to get another tt. love them :)

Guest GT Destroyer

The hybrid is a TT with the turbos modified am I right?

Jamie P I've just checked your Supra out and its looking good! I am hopefully going to be able to get a black one, I can't think of a better colour for them. Yours could well be a source of inspiration for me! Along with some other nice black ones I've seen whilst I've been on here.

Whats the appx cost of going single then, and if you were to buy a Supra with a single conv in mind would you buy a TT or a N/A or would it not matter?

Adnan - I have just looked through your garage pics and your story of heartache working your fingers to the bone! But you have a fantastic Supra - Well done mate. You should be proud.

Edited by GT Destroyer (see edit history)

The hybrid is a TT with the turbos modified am I right?

Jamie P I've just checked your Supra out and its looking good! I am hopefully going to be able to get a black one, I can't think of a better colour for them. Yours could well be a source of inspiration for me! Along with some other nice black ones I've seen whilst I've been on here.

Whats the appx cost of going single then, and if you were to buy a Supra with a single conv in mind would you buy a TT or a N/A or would it not matter?

Yup hybrids are modded stock turbos that bolt in place.

Cost for going single depends on how far you want to go but id budget for around 10 grand for a decent setup, you might find you are happy with bpu though so try a few out would be my advice.

Dont bother with a NA if you want to go single, TT6 is the best place to start.

as jamie said a tt6 is where to start, budget at least 20k for the car and mods to get a reliable good single set up though, as for other cars i bet jamie could have got a very good porsche 996 turbo for what he has spent on his supra, but its not a supra:D;)

Supra's have soul, ive been through many newer cars such as M5/EVO 9gt/ Supercharged Monaro etc and cant help but come back to the Supra's, great car that hides its years well imo.

Beautifully put - I think why these cars get owned by people for 5+ years is that they have soul. Not only that they are bloody reliable and durable compared to most cars also.

Thanks.

I have had a 53' Jaguar XKR, a new E34 M5 in 1995 and have a 37,000mile 2001 996T. I have driven a nunber of normal new cars and none have been a patch on the above in term so feel or quality. I was going to end up with a 2002 BMW M5 reluctantly if I could not find a Supra by the time I had a stroke of luck, I rate the Supra TT a lot more than the E39 M5 which 2 family members own.

The Supra I bought a few months ago has a 140K with FSTH and 2 owners from new with every itemised invoice/consumable always done at Toyota regardless of cost. This drives flawlessly (bar requiring new ignition coils) in every respect and the chassis is also very sharp and feels quite fresh. The Supra definately feels well up there with the above cars, unique quality feel and highly advanced and refined especially considering its still ahead of its time today! It also feels a lot more plush compared to a few 2003 model WRX's and and EVO 8 owned by family members.

(I looked at several later model imports with a fraction of the mileage but these did not drive half as tight or feel 'perfect' like my 1995 model car)

I took my 56 year old mother out in in and did the maximum speed on the M1 and she even said she felt like being sat in an aeroplane and loved the Supra's refinement and compusre compared to the M5's. The only time she has never yelled at me at high speeds is when she's been in the 996T or Supra!

With these cars, they are old, so will require TLC as and when required, that does not mean they are trouble some or unreliable. The problems arise when they fall into the hands of people who try to run them on a shoe string, cut corners with maintenance etc as parts and servicing are VERY expensive.

You will just have to try a few cars like the Supra, EVO etc and make up your own mind. If you are put off by age, then a Supra is not for you, but if you can appreacite that just because a car is old and accept that fact they can be either well up these with modern cars and in some cases superior! then you should continue your search.

However it sounds to me like you need to be looking at a car like I did, ignore the age, but look for few respectable owners from new, a car that pretty straight and not messed about with and it a clean, straight original condition with a complete service history as per the service schedule at the least.

Edited by DSK (see edit history)

Guest GT Destroyer

Cracking reply DSK. I think and hope I will end up in a Supra, despite the age thing. I think it might be just because its quite a big chunk of cash to spend, but I agree with the comments about soul and refinements, and am glad to hear about yours and your Mum's experiences in the Supra.

The single Turbo is way past my immediate budget, that is if I look at doing it myself. There are loads of singles for sale though between 10-15K, I'll have to wait and see whats available when things in my personal life finally pan out.

I am going through a "live for the moment" kind of phase so would probably just go for a single already done, if I did go for a single. No value in gradually doing it up at the moment, you never know whats round the corner so I may as well buy an already done one and save myself the time.

I am actually a big fan of the older style cars, MK1 Astra GTE probably tops my list, as does the old Cavalier Calibre anyone remember them?

I remember those, especially in the 1990's with the Calibre/Irsmcher packs etc. If you like these then a Supra is the one to go for as it has the classic car qualities and allure, but this attribute adds to the appeal for the better.

If you want a Single turbo, I'd say you really need to approach the likes of Garage786 (in our traders section) as well as ask fellow members for the ins and outs of the single turbo conversions.

Remeber, these cars are not cheap to run or source any kind of parts for so you need to inspect any modified car very carefully IMO. Just imagine a spanner monkey with limited talent taking a Supra apart and putting it back together ......... this is exactly what you need to avoid!

Guest GT Destroyer

Thanks for the advice on the singles - I imagine they must take some real technical skills to get a proper conversion done.

Sooner or later I need to actually drive one lol - I haven't even done that yet. Infact how are they for space in the front, I am a tall guy at 6ft 7inches, anyone else here this tall and owns a Supra?

I am based around the Leeds area so I reckon that the place in Bradford, WRC sales I think might be a good place to go and try a test drive of one. There is also a sports dealer somewhere in Keighley I think.

The quickest car I've driven(*) on a regular basis is our/her Golf, its a 180hp MKIV with an induction kit, so I reckon even a std TT will open my eyes quite a bit! Well I'm hoping so anyway.

(*I don't want to start a I've driven this, I've driven that debate. They always turn into a huge contest about how people have driven this and that, F1 cars etc..!)

Thanks for the advice on the singles - I imagine they must take some real technical skills to get a proper conversion done.

Sooner or later I need to actually drive one lol - I haven't even done that yet. Infact how are they for space in the front, I am a tall guy at 6ft 7inches, anyone else here this tall and owns a Supra?

I am based around the Leeds area so I reckon that the place in Bradford, WRC sales I think might be a good place to go and try a test drive of one. There is also a sports dealer somewhere in Keighley I think.

The quickest car I've driven(*) on a regular basis is our/her Golf, its a 180hp MKIV with an induction kit, so I reckon even a std TT will open my eyes quite a bit! Well I'm hoping so anyway.

(*I don't want to start a I've driven this, I've driven that debate. They always turn into a huge contest about how people have driven this and that, F1 cars etc..!)

Look up Keighly Trade Performance in the search facility - very bad reputation.

I went to WRC and Jap Performance UK, all based within easy reach of each other. All the Supra's I saw there looked and sounded nice on the ads/phone but fell short of 'decent' and 'acceptable' upon physical inspection. They also refused test drives....

I believe that all 3 outlets above are linked closely, i.e cousins/brothers/friends running them so all the cars are best avoided. However as far as sitting in one etc and blagging a test drive if you can it just may be worth a bit of your spare time.

Look up Keighly Trade Performance in the search facility - very bad reputation.

I went to WRC and Jap Performance UK, all based within easy reach of each other. All the Supra's I saw there looked and sounded nice on the ads/phone but fell short of 'decent' and 'acceptable' upon physical inspection. They also refused test drives....

I believe that all 3 outlets above are linked closely, i.e cousins/brothers/friends running them so all the cars are best avoided. However as far as sitting in one etc and blagging a test drive if you can it just may be worth a bit of your spare time.

As above.

I live in Menston (LS29) which is near Bradford. Some of the stories about those places (and having been to them myself) I would strongly advise looking else where. In one instance I was told by a man at Keighley that all Supras had at least 1 turbo.... I posted up about this about 2 years ago.

Its slightly bizarre but there has been a few 'newer' members on this forum mentioning Keighley Motors recently. I hope it is no reason for this other than chance.

Impressed with the content of this thread.... not the usual 'new members' rubbish.

I drive a N/A at the moment and can't decide whether to sell up and buy a TT or to take the NA to a NA-T. I love the car I have and don't really want to throw all the work (money) away by selling the NA on.

I utterly agree with the person who said that Supra's are iconic.... they are so rare around Leeds/Bradford that I have seen people stop and point and utterly ignore cars worth 3 or 4 times the value.

I utterly agree with the person who said that Supra's are iconic.... they are so rare around Leeds/Bradford that I have seen people stop and point and utterly ignore cars worth 3 or 4 times the value.

That was me :D

I always get little kidies in retail parks stop and point at the Supra as I circle for parking spots. Around my area I have evena large number of pensioners, who love the Supra and have regularly stopped to ask about it, what it is etc.

Most people I also find on motorways like to have a long look at it, they speed up a bit to keep pace or slow down a bit as they pass if travelling quicker than me.

I have to say, even though there are a few Supra's on the UK's roads, they still remain a rare sight.

I suspect they are more common in the port areas and down South.

I got my car from Aberdeen, saw 2 supra's there that day!

By fellow members locations, it would appear that you are right as to where all the Supra's are running about.

Guest GT Destroyer
As above.

I live in Menston (LS29) which is near Bradford. Some of the stories about those places (and having been to them myself) I would strongly advise looking else where. In one instance I was told by a man at Keighley that all Supras had at least 1 turbo.... I posted up about this about 2 years ago.

Its slightly bizarre but there has been a few 'newer' members on this forum mentioning Keighley Motors recently. I hope it is no reason for this other than chance.

Impressed with the content of this thread.... not the usual 'new members' rubbish.

I drive a N/A at the moment and can't decide whether to sell up and buy a TT or to take the NA to a NA-T. I love the car I have and don't really want to throw all the work (money) away by selling the NA on.

Thanks for the heads up about those 3 places Marble, without that I'd have never known that they were possibly linked. A test drive might be on though, but thats all. I've always thought the cars at WRC (Bradford?) were so expensive compared to others with similar mileage and spec, plus they seem to be for sale for ages, pointing to possible over-pricing or something being not quite right with the car.

Also its nice to read your comments about the thread. I am extremely serious about the Supra and just want to get my head around the different options and the X, Y and Z.

Its also 99% there with actually getting on and buying one, the way things are going. I do get the feeling of extreme excitement every now and then, thinking that I might actually have one soon is quite good!!

Edited by GT Destroyer (see edit history)

Guest GT Destroyer

Thought I'd resurrect this, not that old anyway.

I watched the Tiff Needell vid on the Supra, I was surprised at the 0-60 time of 4.9, I did think it would be slower than that.

Also pleased to hear him speaking positively about the handling of the car.

Still to drive one - Will see what I can do about that at the weekend.

Still want one - haven't changed my mind yet!

There are a few around at the moment that I'd at least have a look at with a view to buying.