The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How a standard TT supra should drive..?

Supralove

Hi guys, I don't know how many fo you remember me but I was looking for a supra about 6 months ago on here. as it went I ended up buying another car which turned out to of been a mistake and now I'm back after a supra. and definately a TT:)

Ok so went to test drive my first last week, I believed it to be standard apart from bigger alloys. the car drove amazingly and was quick. Of note there was quite a big kick when the second turbo kicked in. There was also a lot of the usual turbo car sounds and whistling and even when gently accelerating you could hear the turbo spool up not loudly but you could hear it easily.

Just went to drive a second to make sure it is what I wanted and the condition was stunning, no other word for it. went for a drive and the performance was....ok. so there was no whistling at all and I waited for the second kick and it just never came. It would be silly for me to call it slow but from about 15mph I floored it right up to about 70 and that took a good 7 seconds which is poor in a car that should hit 60 in around 5ish.

So got back to the garage and I said its wildly underperforming, the responded that I must of driven a modified one as there should be no kick it should be smooth acceleration all the way through. ok maybe thats true. they then told me that on supra's both turbo's spool up and work simultainiously which I'm pretty sure is lobbocks. I argued my case that there is a turbo for low down then a second takes over later on. anyway we then opened the bonnet and noticed straight away that the thick black hose on the left side of the engine has a slit almost all the way around it and assumed thats where it was losing boost but they assured me the performance was on par with all TT supe's they had sold. if so then they don't feel that quick in standard form for a car with so much power. which is why I am so confused

So I'm still actually unsure if I have driven a standard tt supra, so my question is how should a standard one perform. are they s**t scary fast standard or had I driven a modified one? should there be a quite big leap in power later on in the rev range or are they smooth the whole way through? would the leak in the pipe (unsure of the name) of affected performance or would that of been as good as it got?

any thoughts would be appreciated.

Eddy

Mine is bog standard, spools very early around 1800 rpms up to about 3700, second turbo kicks in and I can feel a slight jolt, but nothing unpleasant. It pulls very quickly from 15 to 70, certainly nowhere near the 10 second mark.

If it was loosing boost pressure from the knackered pipe then you would not expect it to be very quick.

Where was the 2nd car located? sounds like a dealer?

If you got a big kick from the 2nd turbo then i would assume its BPU'd, you would also hear the turbo type noises as there is probably a dump valve on there.

The 2nd one seems buggered. You should still be able to feel the 2nd turbo but not as much. but the power delivery is smoother. 2nd tubo gone at the worst. Or it could just be loosing boost like you say. It shouldnt have a cut in the pipe, thats for sure :p.

And unless im mistaken you should still be able to hear the turbos. although not as much. the stock blow of valve recirculates so you dont get the noise.

Mine is bpu and running 1.3 bar and you can definately feel the 2nd turbo kick in hard arround 4k. First turbo is fairly un noticable apart from noise :p

Its hard to explain and describe. Both BPU and Stock will feel similar in the power transition with BPU being just that bit more agressive when the 2nd tubby comes online. With a stock tubby you WILL feel the 2nd tubby coming on hard, it just won't throw you back into the seat as hard as BPU (mildly modified) does.

The 2nd car you saw was a dog mate, walk away.

I suspect it was losing boost as there was no spooling noise, or if there was it was so quiet that I couldn't hear it.

edit: ok well the first was definately not BPU as the exhaust was standard and certainly no B.O.V. I guess it could of had upped the boost but everything else was standard.

the second one was this one: http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/TOYOTA+SUPRA/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146-236,N-240-4294966983-4294967144/advert.action?R=200910330123610&distance=50&postcode=CB1+3HA&channel=CARS&make=TOYOTA&model=SUPRA&min_pr=&max_pr=&max_mileage=&vehicleYearOfManufacture=&vehicleRegLetter=N

Edited by Supralove (see edit history)

ok well my plan of action is. stick my car up for sale and get some money. then prbably goto Jurgen to import me a ready BPU'd supe. I just wanted to see how a standard one drives then drive a BPU to see the difference. I was going to maybe put a request on here for a member to drive me in theirs but thats a wee bit cheeky so though I'd drive some for sale ones.

Maybe the split in the pipe was causing boost leak, which is why it didn't feel as powerful? Pointing this out to the garage and having them repair it before you drive the car again may give you a better idea of how that car SHOULD perform.

But definately have a look through the forum classifieds, some really nice, and well priced Supras on here. And if you find any on Pistonheads or Autotrader that you are interested in, then post them up and see what people think. We're all here to help :)

Maybe the split in the pipe was causing boost leak, which is why it didn't feel as powerful? Pointing this out to the garage and having them repair it before you drive the car again may give you a better idea of how that car SHOULD perform.

But definately have a look through the forum classifieds, some really nice, and well priced Supras on here. And if you find any on Pistonheads or Autotrader that you are interested in, then post them up and see what people think. We're all here to help :)

yeah that was the plan, they said I can go back another day and drive it but its was quite a drive and they wern't particularly friendly people.

I wouldn't want to lie to a member on here and say I was genuinely looking to buy their car like you can at a garage, I am a test pilot at the moment, I'm just trying to see how they perform in standard and BPU form before being completely 100% that I want a supe. I can live with the high maintenance cost as long as it performs astonishingly well so make it worthwhile:)